Raise A Glass To Freedom

"Girls, what happened to Mr. Monroe?" our father demands when he spots Angelica and me trying to slip unnoticed past the living room on our way out the door to try and catch up to Hamilton and Laurens.

We stop in our tracks just past the door before backing up to peer inside the room. Our mother is sitting with Mr. Monroe sit on the couch, dabbing the blood off of Monroe's nose and from a cut on his forehead with a wet cloth. Our father stands before them, arms crossed, his eyes fixed on Angelica and me. 

Monroe's eyes flick up to the door where Angelica and I stand uncertainly, and he starts to smile before remembering the cloth that my mother is using to wipe the blood off his mouth. I give him a glare. 

"Hamilton and Mr. Monroe got into a fight," I tell my father unashamedly, and Monroe's eyes widen with alarm, as if not expecting me to tell the truth. "It's why Mr. Monroe is so bloodied up."

Angelica stands by my side with her arms crossed, glaring daggers at Monroe. 

"What was this fight about?" our father asks with surprise, looking between Monroe and me. "Is this why Colonel Hamilton left so suddenly?"

Before I can respond, Monroe interjects, "Pardon me, sir, it was my fault. I overstepped my bounds, and Colonel Hamilton got angry about it." He gives a casual shrug. "We got into a little tumble about it."

"A little tumble?" our mother harrumphs. "Looks like Colonel Hamilton got you good."

Monroe blushes at this, but I feel no sympathy for him. 

"He deserved it," I reply indignantly. 

Everyone looks at me with astonishment, and I realize I'd just said my thoughts out loud. I nearly slap a hand to my mouth as my eyes widen in surprise at my own actions. 

I open my mouth to say something to refute or defend my own statement, but Monroe says, "Indeed I did. I thought Eliza might have had feelings for me and I kissed her. Hamilton saw this, and he didn't take it too well."

He's not telling the whole story, but I don't want to correct him because then I'd have to say that I kissed him back-- if only so he would leave me alone.

My father colors at his words and says in a short, clipped voice, "With all due respect, sir, our daughter is married and with child to Colonel Hamilton. This is scandalous, and I ask that you don't return here again." 

Monroe gapes at him like a fish before nodding and saying quickly, "Of course, sir."

Before anyone can say any more, I speak up, "I have to go." 

I start walking away with Angelica following on my heels. I burst outside and immediately start heading to the stables for my horse.

"Eliza, you shouldn't be riding a horse in your condition," Angelica begins to object, but I cut her off.

"We don't have time," I tell her. "We have to ride. Besides, I was riding a horse yesterday."

Angelica gapes at me with astonishment at this last bit of news, and I simply shrug before striding towards the stables. Angelica follows me with a huff, her voice curt as she relents, "Fine, we'll ride a horse today only."

I nod, if only to pacify her, as I swing open the gate of my horse's pen in the stables. Angelica helps me ready my horse before a stablehand arrives and does it for us. When my horse is saddled and ready to go, I swing myself up onto its back and grab the reins.

Angelica comes up beside me, atop her own horse and with a nod, we both kickstart our horses into motion. Soon, the two of us are racing down the gravel road.