Stay Alive (reprise)

(ELIZA'S POV)

Angelica stays with Hamilton and me for another day before she has to leave for New York City where her husband and children await her.

As she's about to leave, she gives me a hug and whispers in my ear, "I hope to see you soon in New York City." She pulls away so she can look me in the eyes as she adds, "At least ask Hamilton about moving to New York again. Tell him what I told you about his law firm there."

I nod and reply, "I will." 

I quickly brush away a stray, betraying tear, and Angelica gives me a comforting smile as she squeezes my arm and whispers, "Bye, Eliza."

Before I know it, she's stepping into her carriage, and soon, it's out of sight. Hamilton steps up beside me and wraps an arm around my waist. I heave a sigh before turning and heading back inside, Hamilton just behind me.

"What did Angelica say to you?" Alexander asks me as we enter the kitchen, and I swear I hear a tinge of fear and worry in his voice.

I turn to face him, and I put my hand on my hip as I say with conviction, "I think we should move to New York City."

Hamilton blinks in surprise and stares at me for a moment before asking, "Why? We have a home here now."

I walk over to where he stands near the doorway and grip his hands in mine. The coldness of his hands shocks me. 

"New York is where my family is, Alexander. There's nothing for us here in Philadelphia," I tell him quietly but firmly. 

"Our government is here," Alexander refutes, and I shake my head sadly.

"And our government no longer needs you," I tell him softly. "Your law practice is still thriving in New York. We can go back to the city, and you can work on your law practice again."

Hamilton is quiet and solemn as he looks at me, a gleam of sorrow glittering in his blue eyes. The whole room is silent, as if the world is holding its breath as it awaits his answer. Finally, he sighs and concedes, "If you wish to go to New York, my dear Eliza, then we shall go to New York."

Except, that's not the answer I was hoping to hear. 

"I want you to wish for it, too, Alexander," I tell him earnestly, gripping his hands tighter. "If we go to New York, we go together in agreement."

Again, he's silent, and he purses his lips as he looks at me. I can practically see his mind whirling as he thinks it through. "Okay," he finally whispers, and I smile.

"Okay," I parrot, and he smiles tentatively. Unable to hold it back any longer, I lean up on my tiptoes and kiss him. He kisses me back softly, and I loop my arms around his neck as his fingers twine in my hair.

"Ew, mom and dad are kissing," I hear a voice whine, and Hamilton and I jump apart like two scolded teenagers. We turn towards the voice to see Angelica and James standing in the doorway.

Angelica shoots James a look and says, "You couldn't have just kept walking and not said anything?"

James laughs and shakes his head before bounding away. Angelica glares after him before turning towards us sheepishly. "I heard something about New York?" she prompts, and I raise a brow.

"Eavesdropping?" I ask with amusement, and she blushes.

She ignores my eavesdropping comment and instead asks, her voice rising in excitement, "Does this mean we'll be closer to Phillip when he's at school at Columbia? I can see him more?" 

I nod, and she lets out a squeal of delight before sprinting away. I hear her call out Phillip's name, and Hamilton and I exchange amused looks.

It seems everybody is now on board.