Say No To This

Soon after telling Hamilton about the flashbacks, my head begins to spin again, so I ask him, "Did I hit my head on the floor or something because my head is throbbing." I rub my head with a hand, a slight grimace gracing my features. 

He winces before answering, "Well, you hit your head on Angelica's chair because you tilted towards her, and I managed to catch you before you hit the floor. So, technically, you did hit your head, just not on the floor."

I only nod in response before closing my eyes in the hopes that it will make the spinning and throbbing subside. A moment later, I feel Hamilton's weight settle on the bed as he lays down beside me and wraps an arm around my shoulders. I nestle in closer to him, still keeping my eyes closed. 

Suddenly, a knock sounds on the door, but I keep my eyes closed.

"Yes?" Hamilton asks from beside me with a hint of annoyance in his voice. 

 I nearly open my eyes to see why he is so irritated, but the person's answering voice stops me short just in time. 

"I just wanted to know how she is doing,"  Monroe says from the door. There's a beat of silence before he asks tentatively, "Is she asleep?"

I decide to keep my eyes closed to pretend at being sleep since doing so will prevent me from having to make small, polite talk with Monroe. 

"Yes," Hamilton answers without missing a beat, having obviously figured out my ploy. "And she's doing relatively fine."

"That's good," Monroe replies, voice stiff. "Well, let me know if there are any updates. I'm, uh, worried about her."

"She's in good hands, don't worry," Alexander replies coolly.

There's another beat of silence in which I assume Monroe is nodding in answer before I hear receding footsteps as he walks away. I crack open an eye, only to see Alexander looking down at me with amusement. 

"Smart move pretending to be asleep," he remarks cheekily with a smile, and I grin back mischievously.

We hear the footsteps from the hallway at the same time, an alarmed look passing both of our faces at the thought that Monroe might be coming back. But, when we both look to the door, Angelica is the one walking into the room, a glass of water in hand. 

She hands it to me as she instructs firmly, "Drink all of that. You might've fainted because you were dehydrated."

I doubt that's the reason for my fainting episode, but I drink all of the water in the glass anyway, if only to mollify my sister. When I've finished the glass of water, Angelica takes it from me and sets it down on the bedside table. 

"Now, you need to rest," she tells me firmly. "You've had a busy day with all of that traveling, and with your condition, it couldn't have made traveling easier." She looks at Hamilton and orders sternly, "Let her rest. If you're going to stay in here, no talking."

Hamilton holds up his hands in show of surrender as he promises with a wide-eyed, innocent look, "No talking."

Her eyes narrow, obviously not believing him to not talk since he's never been one to stay quiet, before she finally nods with satisfaction. 

"I'll be downstairs if you need anything," she tells me, and I nod. She gives me one more critical once-over as if to be sure I am truly okay before she walks out of the room and shuts the door behind her.

I turn towards Alexander and open my mouth to say something, but he whispers, "No talking, remember?"

I give him an unimpressed look to which he responds with a grin. Eyes narrowing, I open my mouth to snap something back in response, but he puts a single finger against my mouth in silent signal to not talk.