Peggy's run away

ELIZA'S POV

I wind my way through the streets, head swiveling, eyes watchful as I scan for any glimpse of Peggy. I quickly get down from my horse because it's more of a hindrance than anything in the crowded streets. I settle for tying it up outside a store before walking towards the church.

The church isn't hard to miss. I can see its white steeple thrusting into the sky at any spot in town, and the building, itself, is right in the center of town. The golden bell at the top of a shorter tower in front of the steeple gleams in the warm afternoon sun. 

I'm so focused and intent on reaching the church, that I don't notice the person in front of me until I run directly into them. I let out a yelp of surprise and back away from the person I'd run into.

"Sorry!" I apologize as I hold my hands out in an attempt to steady the woman I'd run into.

The woman smiles and merely waves a hand in forgiveness before going about her way. After that, I'm more aware of my surroundings, and I reach the church without another incident. I climb the short stairs to the front door, my dress swaying around my ankles. When I reach the top of the stairs, I push open the door with both of my hands.

Tiny cushioned booths-- similar to the booths at a restaurant, just minus the table-- run vertically down the length of the room. Sunlight streams through the mosaic windows, reflecting colorful, patterned light into the room, and a few lanterns are lit along the walls to provide more light.

At the very front of the room is the wooden lecture where the preacher stands behind during their church sermon. An organ runs along the back end of the wall, and I can see a tiny piano-like instrument where the person pushes the pedestals to allow sound to emit from the organ.

I take in all of these details in half a second because my mind focuses immediately on the front of the room where Peggy is standing with a young man before a preacher.

Obviously, this slim, brown-haired young man is Stephen.

The preacher's mouth moves as he speaks inaudibly, a Bible held in front of him. I peer closer at the preacher, intrigued at how I can see his mouth moving, but I don't hear any of the words come out of his mouth. I think I'm in some sort of shock. 

But then I hear Peggy's voice say clearly, "I do," and this jerks me out of my revere.

I start marching down the aisle as the preacher says, "Then you are lawfully wedded," and the young man beside Peggy leans in to kiss her.

The preacher notices me marching forward and, taking note of my determined face, he clears his throat, as if to warn the newlyweds. Stephen immediately draws away from Peggy and follows the preacher's gaze. His eyes land on me before widening. I notice him touch Peggy's arm lightly with the back of his hand, and then she's turning around, too.

I can hear her gasp when she spots me, her hand flying to her mouth. "Eliza-" she starts saying.

"Why didn't you tell me the truth?" I demand as I march forward, my throat suddenly burning with the urge to cry at her open betrayal and distrust of me. 

Peggy has the decency to look ashamed, and she looks down at her feet as she replies quietly, "I didn't want you to stop me, Eliza." As if it adds to her defense, she adds, "I didn't tell Angelica either!"

By then I've reached them at the front of the room, and I stop four feet away, my dusty gown settling at my feet. My brow dips as I tell her earnestly, "Peggy, didn't you know I wasn't going to stop you? I had all of the opportunities in the world to tell on you to our parents, but I didn't. Not once. Do you not trust me?"