Surprise!

I'm leaning against a random oak tree, head tilted back, eyes closed, when I hear the sound of a twig snapping. My eyes snap open as I turn my head towards the sound, only to find Hamilton approaching me.

"Everyone's been looking for you," he says in greeting, and I turn my face away and close my eyes once more, the back of my head leaning back to rest against the rough bark of the oak tree behind me.

I sense him sit next to me to lean against the tree, our shoulders brushing and thighs touching as he settles in beside me. "Angelica told me what happened in the church with Peggy," he admits, sounding a touch guilty.

I open my eyes and, keeping my face forward away from his face, reply, "Did she now? Well, I suppose you can guess why I'm out here alone. You're too smart not to have figured it out yet."

He chuckles a little and replies, "You hold me in such esteem, but yes, I've figured it out." There's a moment of silence before he suggests quietly, "I think you should just get it over with and say 'congratulations' to Peggy and 'nice to meet you' to Stephen. And then after that, you'll be done. You will have completed your social obligations."

I nod in agreement, even though I don't necessarily want to do what he suggests. "I suppose you're right," I reply as I begin to rise to my feet. Hamilton hurriedly stands to help me up. I hardly have to do anything, he so easily swings me up to my feet. "Thanks," I say a little sheepishly, and he smiles softly.

"Anything for you, my dear Eliza."

***

I purposefully walk slowly towards the house to prolong the inevitable confrontation with Peggy, but Hamilton doesn't seem to mind. He walks leisurely beside me, talking to me in an animated voice about everything he's been up to for the past week or so, including Lee's trash-talking towards Washington and then the duel between Laurens and Lee. As he talks, he gesticulates with his hands in a wild manner. 

"No way!" I exclaim when he tells me how Laurens challenged Lee to a duel. He smiles in amusement as he nods, and I continue with disbelief, "And Laurens managed to shoot General Lee?"

Hamilton laughs as he remarks, "I mean it wasn't that hard to do. General Lee and Laurens were within six paces of each other."

"But aren't pistols sort of inaccurate?"

"Well, yes," he concedes with a slight tilt of his head. "I suppose that does make it harder to hit someone, but Laurens has experience with guns due to the war and all."

"Well, was this the skirmish you were talking about earlier that made General Washington send you home? Did General Washington do anything other than send you home?" I ask, eyes wide. 

I hope Laurens wasn't kicked out of the army for disobeying orders. What if Hamilton was kicked out and he hadn't told me yet--

Before my mind can think further on this possibility, Hamilton replies with a hint of irritation, "Washington sent me home, but that's all he did." He pauses before adding with a wink, "But it's much better because you're here." 

I can't help but smile at this. 

Hamilton continues, "And Laurens? Well, I'm not really sure. I left before I could find out much about his situation. I'd have to guess he's still in Philadelphia as General Washington's aide-de-camp. The general needs all the help he can get."

I fake a pouty face as I tease, "Poor, poor Alexander has to go home to his wife instead of fight."

His smile turns mischievous as his blue eyes slide towards mine, and he replies, "Good thing I have my wife to entertain me." A pleasant tingle shoots down my spine at his flirtatious words, and I can't help but return his grin.