Stay Alive

ALEXANDER HAMILTON'S POV

I leap off my horse before it has even stopped moving, and stride towards General Greene, who turns towards me at the sound of my footsteps on the leaves. He's encamped on the outskirts of town at the edge of the forest, his forces hidden in the shadows beneath the forest's thick canopy.

"Sir, the British are nearing Monmouth Courthouse," I inform him quickly. "Washington wants you to change position more west."

General Greene's eyes widen in surprise before he nods and says, "Thank you, Colonel Hamilton." He turns to John Laurens beside him and orders, "Send word to the other generals that I've changed my position due west."

I start turning back towards my horse, and a moment later Laurens is beside me, tugging his own horse along. "Tell Washington about Greene's change of position first," I tell Laurens as I swing myself up onto my horse, and Laurens nods.

"Will do," he says before riding away towards headquarters.

After that, I visit all the generals and tell them about the new positioning. They're all receptive, except for Lee who can't help but tell me that this whole battle is a waste of resources and it will be the death of us all.

When he said that, I couldn't help but tell him pointedly that he's to start marching in five minutes, to which he responded with an angry look and a shout that he outranked me and that I should get back to Washington.

Now, Washington and I wait on the outskirts of the town of Monmouth, waiting for news to arrive from the other generals, telling us to march. The two of us sit upon our horses in front of our respective host of men, staring out at the horizon.

The sun is rising.

Lee should've attacked already, and we should already be moving. Already, the temperatures is rising, and the back of my neck is coated in a thin sheen of sweat. It's only six-thirty in the morning, and it's nearly eighty degrees. Not to mention the one hundred percent humidity makes it feel nearly ten degrees hotter. 

After an hour of waiting, Washington orders impatiently, "Hamilton, ride up there and figure out what's happening. We can't afford to wait any longer. The sun is rising and so is the temperature."

I nod before kicking my horse into a sprint.

I've only ridden for five minutes when I  reach the first group of men, who are still standing there waiting. It's General Wayne's group. I swing myself down from my horse and march towards the general's tent.

"What's happening?" I demand General Wayne as I stride into his tent. "Why haven't we attacked yet?"

General Wayne looks up from where he's reading a note, a frown on his features. "Colonel Hamilton," he greets. "I'm guessing Washington sent you?" When I nod, he explains, "We haven't attacked because Lee hasn't. We're waiting for him, so we can sneak up on the British. But without Lee attacking, we can't move." His voice conveys his frustration.

"And do you know why Lee isn't attacking, sir?" I demand.

General Wayne holds up the note in his hand. "I've received word that he thinks we should wait."

Before long, I'm racing towards General Lee's position, but when I arrive where he should be, he's not there. He's moved and without permission. He's destroying our entire plan!

I let out a frustrated growl before riding towards General Stirling, who's the closest to my position. When I ask him where Lee has moved his men, he responds that Lee hasn't sent word to him that he had decided to move or that they should wait, and that he's been waiting for General Wayne to begin marching. And then I'm racing back to Washington, who's unruly temper rises at my news.