Ride to Victory

Throughout the ride, Jane casts me concerned looks over her knitting since I've been silent for the entire afternoon we've been inside the carriage.

I settle my hands on my stomach, the only comfortable way to rest my hands these days, as I look out the window. As I watch the trees pass by, I begin to frown. Is it just me or are the trees moving past us slower? Are we slowing down?

Sure enough, it becomes obvious that we're slowing down, and a moment later we roll to a complete stop. Jane and I exchange quizzical looks, and I straighten in my seat as Jane sets down her knitting.

I make to open the door of the carriage to check to see what's happening outside, but suddenly my door opens and Hamilton fills the frame as he leans inside the carriage. He gives me a soft smile and explains, "We're having to trade one of our horses now."

"We're at a tavern?" I ask, my brow furrowing, and I turn in my seat to look out Jane's window. Sure enough, a tavern sits nestled into the woods off the road. I catch sight of the driver leading a horse towards the tavern stables, intent on trading it for a well rested horse. 

Bracing a hand on the top of the carriage as he leans against it, Hamilton elaborates, "We're replacing her with my horse, so we're gaining money, not losing it." I nod in understanding, and Hamilton adds a bit sheepishly, "You mind if I join you two in here?" He pauses before hastily tacking on, "Just for a bit." 

"Of course," I say with surprise. 

I scoot over on my side of the bench to allow him room. He gives me a grateful smile, but he doesn't enter the carriage until the driver returns. Only then does he step inside, closing the door after him. He breathes into his hands to warm them up, and he offers me a smile as he pulls out a deck of cards. 

"Have you ever played?" he asks me, holding the deck of cards up between two fingers.

I give him a bemused look as I reply dryly, "Why yes, I have. What game do you have in mind?"

He gives me a slash of a smile as he replies, "How about a game of Tricks?"

I wince a little before replying, "I haven't played this game before." 

It must be an eighteenth century game, is what I don't say since Jane is sitting in the carriage with us.

Hamilton's brows shoot up in shock, and he asks incredulously, "You don't remember playing this with me?"

My wince deepens, and I answer begrudgingly, "No." I pause before suggesting, "How about this. We play your game of Tricks, and then I'll teach you a game I know."

I'm vaguely aware of the carriage kicking back into motion. 

Hamilton laughs and gives me a smug look before he responds with a hint of arrogance, "What game could you teach me?" He pauses before his eyes widen upon realizing his mistake. "Never mind. I never said that," he adds hastily.

Ha.

He forgot I was from the future.

This time it's my turn to gloat, and that's how we pass the time; playing a game of Tricks and Rummy.

***

With a satisfied smirk, I lay down the last of my cards-- three Queens-- and announce triumphantly, "I win."

Hamilton frowns at my cards, his mouth turned down as he examines how many I'd acquired. We're playing Rummy, and I've managed to get a set of Queens, Threes, and Twos, and I've also acquired two runs.

Hamilton, on the other hand, hasn't been so successful. He only has a set of Fours and a single run. He also has a Three and a Two laid down that he has added to my own sets.