The new school

The air was cool and you could taste the dampness that hung in it. The puddles on the ground told you it had been raining and the rain itself told you it was still raining. Cammie gazed up at the grey sky, raindrops peppering her face. Cammie hated the rain; it probably had something to do with the fact that it was wet, or maybe the fact that it was cold. The only thing she was certain about was that she hated it. Her best friend Bex Baxter stood beside her under the weeping sky. "The door isn't going to magically open itself you know. You're going to have to do it manually." I smiled at her linked her arm in mine and pushed the door open stepping into our new school. The building screamed boredom and oppression with its depressingly dull and dirty white walls. We walked up to the reception. The receptionist was nice and she told us to wait there because a student would come to show us around. We sat down at the empty chairs and checked out our timetables, not being able to bear the dismal school. I t was nothing like Gallagher Academy, no elaborate paintings or history and a doubtful amount of secrete passages. Somebody shakes my shoulder startling me and I nearly floor them before catching myself. Standing in front of me is a tall blond haired well-built guy. How did he even sneak up on me? "I'm Alex, I've been asked to show you guys around." I give him a timid smile but Bex sticks out her hand. "I'm Bex and this is Cammie." All I can think of is where the hell as all this shyness come from? Alex nods and turns around, which is surprising. He doesn't even smile and attempt to make small talk. We follow him like sheep as he leads us down gloomy corridors. We stop just outside a door and he finally speaks. "Look just because I showed you guys around doesn't mean were friend or anything. So don't come looking for me or anything. I'll give you my advice to fit in in this school. Stay away from me and make your own friends. We nod simultaneously in surprise. With that he opens the door and walks in. I don't even have time to brace myself before I follow him Bex right behind me. Alex glides to the back corner of the class leaving Bex and I at the front. The teacher is a middle aged man called Mr. Hannon. He makes us introduce ourselves and then points us to the back of the class next to Alex. This in all honesty isn't very pleasing. I mean seriously how rude and I certainly wouldn't want to be his friend anyway. The classes pass slowly and when the bell rings for lunch I have no idea where to go. A guy called Tom from our math class catches us looking unsure and approaches us. "I'm Tom, looking for the cafeteria?" I nod and smile and Tom brightens "Cammie and Bex right?" He doesn't even wait for a reply. "Let me escort you two lovely ladies to our sublime eating hall full of questionable food and hormonal teenagers." I smile at his joke. "So what made you guys decide to move to this piece of junk? I mean seriously anywhere is better than here." We make our way through the crowded halls. "Well, my dad got a new job, so the family moves here and Cammie's living with us while her mum works abroad." Tom just nods either not noticing the lack of my mention of my dad or choosing not to comment. We enter the cafeteria line and Tom just continues to talk. If you want you can sit with us unless someone else asked you." I gotta say the food isn't even close the stuff at Gallagher Academy. "Sure no one's asked us yet and it'd be nice to sit other people." Bex says as I'm lost in thought. We follow Tom to the corner of the room to a table with an excellent vantage point of the rest of the room. There sitting at the table is Alex, how could he possibly be friends with such a nice guy as Tom? "Guys this is my Best friend Alex Rider." "We've met already he's the one who showed us to our class." Bex says coldly giving Alex a glare. Bex's glare is pretty scary but Alex doesn't even flinch just stares at her coolly. Tom looks between Bex and Alex, and sighs. "Alex what did you do?" Alex looks at Tom innocently. "I was only trying to save their social lives, before." Alex doesn't finish and just goes back to his lunch as if he just wasn't in the middle of a sentence. I turn around to see what he was looking at and see a large group of people glaring at him. I sit down opposite Alex and Tom. Tom starts talking animatedly and soon I'm telling him about my fake life with bits of the truth stuck in. I forget all about Alex because he's so silent, until he stiffens. A burly boy walks up to the table who has a mean look about him. "Back off James can't you see were trying to have an intelligent conversation here? If we need someone to say something stupid we'll call you." Tom says angrily looking at the guy. James turns red with anger and his fists clench. I tense sensing a fight about to break out, but before anything happens Alex starts to talk. Again I had forgotten he was here and so had James as he flinches slightly. "James I wouldn't start something you can't finish.....