Suprise guest

We walked to Alex's house while he wheeled his bike. It was strange he's such a different person outside of school. We turned the corner, and Alex's shoulders tensed as he saw a car parked in his drive. He brought his bike to the shed so Bex and I had time to scan our surroundings. The house was nice and big, not one of a druggie. It was also well placed for a quick exit both on foot and in a car.

Alex leads us to the door and opens it dumping his bag just inside, Bex and I follow suit.

"I'm home and I brought friends." His voice sounds slightly strained. The reply comes instantly. "I'm in the kitchen." Alex smiles and leads us through a spotless home to an even cleaner kitchen. "I didn't realise you'd be here or else I would have stayed away." The man sighs and turns around from cooking something. "Alex," Before he can continue Alex interrupts him. "Where's Ben he said he'd be home today." The man doesn't even give out to Alex for being so rude just rolls his eyes. "He told me to tell you he'd be late and that we'd have a guest for dinner, one of his friends from work. He also said that if your homework isn't done by the time he gets back Tom won't be able to come over for a week." Bex and I stand awkwardly at the edge of the counter not sure where to look or what to do. The man turns to us. "Excuse Alex he's forgotten all his manners, if he had any to begin with. I'm John Crawly and you must be the famous Cameron and Rebecca. Alex has told me all about you. In fact I had though he had made you up because he never brought you over." Alex shoots him a sharp look while filling a glass of water. "Its just Bex and Cammie." Is Bex's reply sticking out her hand. The man laughs and shakes our outstretched hands. 'In that case call me John. Your welcome to stay for dinner as long as you get a start on homework. What would your parents think of me if they thought I wasn't responsible. They'd never let you come here again." We smile and nod in agreement. "Do you want a snack or wait for dinner? Ben said he'd be back in about half an hour." Alex leaves his glass in the sink."You guys don't mind waiting do you? We can do our homework in the dining room."

Doing our homework is where we found ourselves twenty minutes later. "Cammie did you get question ten cause I'm really confused." Alex looks pleadingly at me and I can't help but feel sympathetic. After missing so much school I'm surprised he didn't ask for help sooner.

"I mean the question asks me to state my opinion, but I don't particularly like the poem, but Miss Greany said to lie if we don't like the poem. Its like bloody politics" at this he pauses and leans over his work. "Thanks for your help guys" he says scribbling furiously.

After a lull in the conversation I start to fidget "Alex where's the bathroom?" He glances up,"Up the stairs second on the right." I nod in thanks. The house is modern and stylish but something was missing. It took me a second to realise what it was. Everything had a thin layer of dust on it, as if no one had been in the house for weeks. The house is quite and feels empty.

On my way back I notice the door that has wooden cut outs spelling Alex's name. My curiosity gets the better of me and I push the door open. The room is not what you'd expect a teenage boys to be. It was neat and tidy, except for a bag in the middle of the room. Clothes were coming out of it and a few school books, as if he'd been unpacking. There were a few poster on the wall and pictures, above the desk was a study plan.

The surprising thing I noticed was that he had his next absence and the study plan changed accordingly. Someone called me for dinner brining me out of my thoughts.

There sitting at the table was Joe Solomon. I froze in the door not sure how to react. "Cammie" Alex calls "Joe was just telling me about the time you snuck out of school to visit your boyfriend." He waggles his eyebrows and smirks. I force smile onto my shocked face. "You never told me your school was an all girls boarding school Cammie. If you'd said so Tom and I would have made more of an effort." I just roll my eye's and sit beside him. "So Alex how is school going for you?" Alex shifts in his seat glancing at me. "OK I guess, you know I've had cancer for few years. I was diagnosed a week before my uncle died." Before anyone can say anything he rushes ahead "I'm in and out of remission now so you know when I go back to hospital I tend to miss a lot of school. But other than that I'm doing pretty well. I have another checkup in a few weeks to see if I'm in remission again. All Bex and I can do is stare at it him in shock. "Well I'm in town for a few weeks so if you need extra tutoring just call me." Joe offers, Alex nods his thanks. Dinner was a friendly affair but I could sense a tension rolling off Alex. After dinner everyone helps clear up and Ben insists we stay for dessert. We head up to Alex's Room while the adults clear up. Bex crosses her arms and turns on Alex. "When were you thinking of telling us? You have cancer and you didn't think it was important to mention?" Bex's voice is close to shouting. Suddenly Alex eyes flash and he stands up from where he was sitting on the bed. "You think I didn't want to tell you? Well I did but its not the sort of thing you drop into a conversation. I also didn't tell you because you'd treat me different." I open my mouth to protest but he holds his hand up to stop me. " Don't bother denying it ever since I told you you've been treating me like I'm a China doll. No scathing remarks or comebacks for Alex. He has cancer he probably cant handle it he's to fragile. Well guess what I have terminal cancer. One of these days when I leave I won't be coming back. I don't want to spend the rest of my days being pitied. I don't want it and I certainly don't need it. So if your going to feel sorry for me do it somewhere else." I don't know what to say. But all my brain seems to register is terminal. That means never getting better. "Why lie?" I ask but he knows what I mean. "I prefer to be disliked honestly than to be liked dishonestly." I say nothing to that. Bex asks the question I should have. "How long?" Alex narrows his eyes. "How long till I die you mean?" We both flinch at his words. "If I'm lucky? A few years, or it could be when I get my next major infection or virus, and that could be anytime."

Alex spends the rest of the evening explaining things to us and the truth on how he missed so much school. "Now you know the real reason I've been missing so much school." He said as we go down the stairs. Bex I called your father and I'm giving you girls a lift home." The car was silent until it shatters with the question I'd been dyeing to ask. "How do you know Ben?" Joe sighs. "He's MI6, I was just finished a mission with him you can imagine my surprise when I saw you two. I wasn't sure what to think." Does Alex know about his job?" Joe hesitates for a minute. "I don't think so." But Bex and I know he's lying.