Prologue

We're all sitting at this marble that costs more than most people earn in a year, and no one is touching the food that I went through the trouble of preparing. Only now do I notice that they shifted the chairs a little so that our children are sitting closer to my wife - and further from me than they usually do. I force a smile onto my lips that looks as genuine as I want it to while my gaze drifts from my daughter on my right to my sons on my left, then to my wife who's facing me.

We all know what this is about, and I'm not going to have it. I'm not going to stand by and watch while my children turn into the monsters that their parents are. I will not allow them to become vampires.

"So, you all dieting now or what?" I snap, leaning back in my chair after grabbing my glass of red wine. I swivel it around, sending the scent into the air to drown out the smell of my children's blood that has my fangs itching.

Tristan is the first to waver. His dark blue eyes avoid mine and he finally puts some meat and vegetables onto his plate. He looks so much like me that I can only wonder if my eyes used to be such a blue before everything went to hell. It's been so long that I can't remember. All I know is that his mother used to have brown eyes, just like his siblings.

Belle decides to dig in as well, though not before shooting me a fiery glare. She stares at her plate, narrowing her eyes. "It's going to happen, daddy. Whether you like it or not."

I scoff at her futile defiance. "Really? And what exactly makes you think I've changed my mind?"

"It's not your choice!"

"Well, it's definitely not yours, either," I reply pointedly, cocking my head to the side. Her fingers tighten around the cutlery, and she has no idea how that rage would feel if she were a vampire. I sigh. There's no way she could now. "Belle, you don't know-"

"I do know, okay?" Her gaze snaps up. "You've told us often enough. The hunger, the sleepless nights, and oh, don't forget how terrible, terrible it is to live forever."

"Watch your tone, young lady."

"No, daddy. It's going to happen, we all-"

"Belle." Antonio, our eldest, shoots her a pleading look, but she's never been one to listen to her brothers.

"Toni, we talked about this!" she argues and only sinks back into her chair when her mother holds her hand up. She moves it back to her neck, fiddling at her endless dark hair while her cold red gaze rests on me.

"I can't believe you're going behind my back."

"Honey, I'm sorry but she's right. It's their choice." She doesn't sound sorry at all - and I know for a fact that she isn't. This also isn't about our children. It's about what she wants. That's how it's always been.

"Dad, please. We want this," Toni says softly, his pleading eyes now boring into me. Most people have soft spots for their youngest, or for their baby girl, but for me, it's always been him since the first day I held him in my arms. A thousand years after losing my son, I finally had another child. "Dad?"

I blink, tearing myself from the memory. "No."

"It's not your choice!" Belle jumps up, throwing her cutlery onto the plate. The sound rings in my sensitive ears.

"I said no, Belle," I state firmly and get to my feet as well. Her fists are shaking.

"I'm with Belle," Tristan mumbles.

"And I don't care."

"Dael, honey. We already agreed on it. Really, they justed wanted to ask you to be there for them when it happens."

I can't help the bitter laugh that bursts from my throat and makes them flinch. Her betrayal stings.

"You think this is funny?" Belle sneers and I quiet down. Really, she has no idea what it means to me to look into those chocolate brown eyes of her - and she's never going to understand before it's too late.

"Dad, please. We can't do this without you."

I gaze over to Toni, looking right through him. "Oh, I think you can. You managed to decide this all on your own already, right?"

"We talked to you like a hundred times," he argues. His voice has become louder, showing the desperation that has him furrowing his brow. "And you always-"

"Said no," I finish for him. "That's final."

"You can't stop us!" Belle snaps.

I smirk at her words. "Want to test me?"

"Dael, this is enough." I stare at this back-stabbing woman that calls herself my wife. She returns my glare levelly, perfectly aware that I'd never raise a hand against my children even though stopping them is as easy as taking a breath. "I'm going to turn them this weekend. With or without you."

My heart sinks with the realization that she just forced me to walk out on them. After all, I've made it abundantly clear that I'm not going to be here if they go through with it. Honestly, it's been an empty threat. I never thought they'd force my hand.

But what I guess is worse is that this will be the last time I see my children the way they were supposed to be. Mortal. This is the family I always wanted - the kind that was taken from me so long ago. My baby boy, my love, murdered.

I take long looks into their eyes sprouting the colours of mortality before I leave.

-

Well, what do you think? I've been wanting to write their story from Dael's POV for a long time. (Long before I posted the edited version on WP.) I think there's much to realize when you see things (and also Ally) from his eyes. Stuff that I've kind of always known, but only now truly I truly see the extent.

XOXO T.