Part 8

My thoughts keep returning to my children, making it literally impossible to concentrate on work. It's not like I really need to do it, given that my money pretty much makes money all on its own, but I'd welcome the distraction. It's not working, though, to the point that I end up with my cellphone in my hands, on the brink of calling my children.

Or one of them, to be more precise – and the decision isn't a difficult one. After all, I've always favoured Antonio since I first held him in my arms, and there'd never been competition even when his siblings were born. He's also always been the most reasonable, the easiest to talk to, but then again that might've to do with the special treatment he'd always gotten from me.

I press my lips together tightly as I remember the warmth of his brown eyes. I'm never again going to see them like that – because his eyes have changed their colour for good when he lost his mortality. It physically hurts, and I'm afraid, afraid of having lost my children. After all, one doesn't just become a vampire like nothing changed.

I toss the phone aside with a groan, refusing to give in. They bestowed this fate upon themselves; it's not my fucking responsibility. Maybe they'll learn to trust their old man more after this – and more importantly, they might figure out that they need me, after all. They should think about that before pushing me away next time.

My resolve lasts the better part of the evening, and I eventually decide to check up on Allorian when it becomes too much to deal with it. Distraction sex isn't the same as rebound sex. Besides, my nerves are making the hunger unbearable. Thinking about Allorian's pale neck, about sinking my fangs into his tender muscles, about his blood on my tongue, tasting oh – so – delicious.

My servants bow when I pass them, leaving me undisturbed except for Sebastiano. He just has to meddle. Guess it comes from the close relationship he'd had with Belle, though it had been very brief. He acknowledges my presence with a nod, then follows at my heels. "Are you done with work for the day?"

"Yes."

"So, did it go well?"

Sighing, I stop dead in my tracks, and the servant flinches beneath my gaze that suddenly lands on him. I get it, he's worried, but I've got enough on my hands as it is. "Sebastiano, what do you want?"

"I was just wondering – Did Miranda say anything about your children, how they're doing?" he says quietly, avoiding my eyes.

I rub my forehead, then push my hair back. "I wouldn't know. I'm still not talking to them, same as you. I'd think you'd be the one to understand."

"I know. I just thought she might've said how they're doing."

"Being difficult." I shrug. "I don't give a damn. So if you want to know, you can ask yourself. But if you won't, then stop asking."

"I'm sorry," he murmurs and bows before leaving me to my dinner. It's nice to think that at least with Allorian, I can be away from the family drama for a short while. He doesn't know, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't care, either. Why should he? I'm paying him to spend time with me. It's not like any of this matters to him.

I find him spread out in the sheets, shamelessly exposing his naked body to anyone who might enter the room while he comfortably nuzzles my pillow. I smirk at his vulnerability, then remove my clothes before I climb the bed. Allorian shifts in response, but his unintelligible mumbling is still rather sleepy. Slowly, I sit down on his hips, careful not to wake him, and pin his arms down. Then, I lean closer to his neck.

He fully wakes the moment I sink my fangs into him, screaming loud enough for my ears to start ringing. My body tenses when he starts thrashing, though he's kind enough to stop a moment later. Apparently, he's finally getting used to the ordeal. Groaning, he relaxes beneath me. God, that hurts.