Chapter 6 • Wednesdays With Whitelies

This feels a hundred different ways weird. I am coming to a dinner tradition just like we always used to but the only difference is, I'm coming alone. I don't have anyone with me. I'm the only Gold amongst the crowd of Whitelies, Brodies and Argents.

             "I can't believe I'll eat Wednesday dinner with you again!" Jace hoots as he drives.

             I am seated on the passenger seat while the other two are already in there, probably helping with kitchen duty but I doubt it. Bridget will definitely make her foot as an excuse and Austin, well Austin is Austin, a lazy ass.

             "Just drive, Jace," I jerk my head to the road and sigh. I know he can feel what I'm feeling, the anxiety, the probability of being left out and the sadness but my face is not giving anything away.

             Jace pulls over in front of their house. It's exactly how I know it, pale blue house with white front porch, well maintained garden and of course, the large oak tree by the side.

             The front door bursts open and there comes out Jace's female and older version, Sophia Whitely. She runs to me with her arms open wide and I embrace myself for yet another drama and walk down memory lane.

             "Oh my sweet sweet Harley," she sings and then her eyes start welling with tears. She pulls me to him before I hear her sob.

             Anthony, Jace's dad and my dad's doctor, comes into view. He smiles down at us with his arms folded in front of his chest. Jace joins him and watches us with pure bliss.

             "I've missed you so much, darling girl," Sophia's hand cups the back of my hand before she pulls away.

             She gives me a once over before setting her soft green eyes on my face. She stares at me for a while and with how her eyes look, I know she sees something's different with me now. I am no longer her sweet darling girl.

             "Let the kid breathe, Sophia," Anthony says from behind her.

             Sophia twists around to glare at her husband. "Oh just because you've already seen her that's why you're not acting like this!"

             Anthony didn't act as touchy as this when we first met at the hospital. He was calm but he wasn't subtle about what he sees in me. He knows I've changed a lot.

             "Everyone's waiting, mom," Jace cuts in.

             And I suddenly feel like I'm a meat that's about to served. Everyone meaning all those people who are a part of my past life, those people who knows my family well. I don't want to go inside but Sophia's pulling me towards the door gently and I can't help but follow her. Jace gives me a very reassuring look as I go through the doors.

             The smell of different foods smack my face upon entry. It somehow amazes me how they were able to continue Wednesdays with the Whitelies and still manage to be this consistent when it comes to food. I mean, we have lots of wednesdays a year and it's been more than ten years of doing this.

             "Harley!" Austin exclaims and he engulfs me into his arms, my face pressed against his muscled chest. I frown.

             "We're together at school, Austin," I tell him and he pulls away, grinning.

             "I know but it feels good to have someone who has the same number of brain cells as me," he says and Jace's face falls.