Chapter 16 • Dialled Hell

"Watch out!" shouts someone and before I know it, a ball—a football—hits me square on the head, making me nearly fall to the ground. Thank goodness for the gift of having a good footing.

           Everyone in the general vicinity stops doing whatever they're doing. The squad rushes to me immediately with Bridget Argent on lead. As I slowly sink myself to the ground, my bestfriend holds me by the elbow for support.

           "I bet you're laughing now," I tell her with a flat tone. For someone who just hit her head, I sure am emotionless.

           "I'm not that stupid," Bridget thwacks my head and I groan in response. She squeaks, pulling her hand off me quickly. "Sorry."

           I slowly tilt my chin up so I could get a better view of Bridget's face. I can see her babbling words, her mouth dancing in panic but I couldn't make what she's saying and that's when I knew I'm having a solid attack again. The hit caused my head to act up and I will make sure to get all Harley Quinn on whoever idiot threw that to my direction.

           "Harley..." that's all I heard and it sounded as though it's in ripple.

           I look around at everyone who are hovering at me, eyes filled with worry and of course, the chance to witness the first ever fall of the formidable Harley Gold. Funny how I've been acting all tough and monstrous one second and then the next, I am sitting on the ground with a massive headache. Thanks to that genius thrower.

           "She's not looking good, Aust!" I hear Bridget frets. I close my eyes in hopes that I could return back to myself.

           "How about you guys stop crowding her? She needs to fucking breathe!" It's not Austin that I hear. It's the voice of the resident bad boy who I'm planning to talk to after school.

           "Gray, I am so so——"

           "Sorry that you're a stupid, idiot, borderline brain-dead moron? Get the fuck out of here, Parker. I'll deal with your throwing tomorrow," Grayson bites at him, not long before I feel strong arms at the back of knees and around my frame.

           "Let me take her," Jace's voice enters my blurry consciousness. It could just be my imagination but I felt every muscle in Grayson's body tighten.

           "Harley's gonna be fine with her, Jace," Bridget cuts in as she holds him back by his chest.

           I let out a loud frustrated sigh and lean my head on Grayson's shoulder where my forehead is touching his stubbled chin. I can sense the shock in him for the sudden gesture. Even the bickering party a.k.a my own merry band of idiots ceases talking.

           "Just get me out of here, Levy. No one follows," I say in between dangerous groans. There are sounds of protests from my bestfriends but Grayson Levy being himself enjoyed hearing every bit of it.

           One day, or probably tomorrow, I will know what's the real deal with the resident bad boy and why he's got my friends sanity tied in a knot.

           Turns out, I just needed some peace and quiet, some place where I could just calm myself so my headache ceases. Grayson carried me to my tree where cool and fresh breeze freely entered my lungs. If I were to think of it, my headache only appears when my bestfriends are around and when Grayson is in the near vicinity. But when I'm alone with him, I could actually calm down.