Chapter Five

Finally the day's classes are over. Minho, Newt and I decide to hang out just the three of us, so we head to the soccer field close to the park to have a friendly little game.

I haven't told them about Brenda and I, but I guess I'll talk about it when we reach camp. I text my mom telling her where I am.

Some seconds later my phone buzzes.

Okay honey! Have fun!

"Leave your shucking girlfriend for a bit and come play with us!" I hear Minho shout from the field and I realize that I had stopped walking to answer my mom.

I catch up to them.

"It was my mom. Besides, Brenda and I aren't together anymore." I whisper while taking the ball out of my bag and placing it on the ground.

Minho's mouth opens wide, and Newt smiles sadly.

"We're sorry man..." Newt says as the two of them pat me on my back. "You have us whenever you need to talk."

I nod. I really couldn't ask for better best friends.

"Thank you. And it's okay." I pat them on their shoulders. "Now let's just play."

"Alright shank. The first of you shanks to score five goals wins." Minho says as he runs to the goal, smirking at us.

I smile and we start our little game.

We spend the rest of the evening having fun, with Minho making sassy comments and Newt scolding him afterwards.

****

It's close to dinner time when we go home.

I open the front door, taking my jacket off and placing it in the hanger.

"I'm home!" I shout for my mom and Chuck to know I've arrived.

I walk to the kitchen, where I know my mother will be cooking dinner.

"How was your day, honey?" She asks as I give her a kiss on the forehead.

"Good." I reply, sitting in one of the chairs of the table. "Where's Chuck?"

"He's in his room doing homework." Mom answers as she washes her hands and cleans them with a cloth. She looks at me for some seconds.

"Are you sure you had a good day?" She asks, taking a sit in front of me. How can she read me so well?

I take a deep breath, playing with my fingers.

"Brenda and I broke up." I say, looking at her.

Her face falls and she gives me a sad smile.

"Oh, Thomas..." She stands up and hugs me tightly. "I'm sorry sweetheart." I embrace my mother back. It's good having her with me.

"It's okay, mom. I just didn't feel the same way about her. And I guess she didn't feel the same about me as well." I say as she pulls away, caressing my hair.

"It happens sometimes. People stop having mutual feelings for each other and the love between them ends. But that doesn't mean you won't have more people in your life. She wasn't your first girlfriend and I'm sure she won't be the last." She smiles knowingly at me.

She then looks quizzically, furrowing her eyebrows a bit. "Is there anyone new?" She asks softly, poking my chest where my heart is.

I lower my head. I dont know! I'm extremely confused about what I feel, but the only thing I know, is that Teresa's face popped in my mind immediately.

But one thing I'm sure. I would end things up with Brenda anyway. Even if I hadn't met Teresa. It just didn't feel right anymore.

"I would break up with her anyway..." I say, looking up at my mom.

She smiles gently. "So there is someone in there."

"Maybe...?" I don't even know anymore. I couldn't love a girl I barely know, could I?

I shake my head slightly, cleaning my thoughts.

I'm not in love!

My mom nods, planting another kiss on my cheek.

"I'm sure you'll find the one."

Then her face turns into a panicked one. I raise my eyebrows.

"Oh my God, the rice!" She exclaims, getting up fast and rushing to the oven to check on the food.

I can't help but smile. There's no one on this world that can cheer me up so fast as my mom.

A/N

Sorry for not updating that much these days, but I'm back! 😂