Chapter Twenty Two

Thomas' POV

I open the front door to my house wondering who in the whole world could possibly be knocking so fiercely onto it at 10 PM.

My mouth drops open at the sight in front of me.

"Hello, Thomas."

Despite my head spinning with both confusion and astonishment, I somehow close my mouth and straight myself a little bit.

"Brenda? What are you doing here?" I ask carefully, narrowing my eyes at her. She seems quite... off...

"What?" She yells, slightly stumbling on her feet as she tries to keep herself upright. "I'm not allowed to wish you a happy Birthday, now?!" Her voice raises in volume, and I quickly stretch my arms in front of me in an attempt to shush her.

"Brenda, calm down, alright? It's already night, it's late an-"

"I don't care if it's late!"

Brenda pushes me inside my own house as she walks in with wobbly legs and trembling hands.

What happened to her?

I close the door rapidly as I try to reach her, going for her hand before she makes it to the living room where everyone is sitting, but without much success.

My Birthday this year is completely different from the others in so many ways...

"Brenda, would you please leave?" I huff in frustration.

I reach the room just after Brenda, finally managing to hold her arm steadily, but not strong the way it would hurt. Eventhough our story has come to an end awhile ago, there's no way I would want to hurt her in any way.

"I see you have guests here, Thomas." Brenda says as she looks around the room, her eyes wandering through everyone until they stop at a certain blue eyed girl.

My heart skips a beat.

Before Brenda can do anything stupid, which I believe will happen since it's pretty visible that she's under good amounts of alcohol in her blood, I lock  eyes with Newt, who stood up alongside Frypan with his arms stretched in front of him as in protection, his eyebrows furrowed together, trying my best to tell him that we need to do something immediately.

However, no words seem to leave our mouths.

"Why did you invite everyone, but not me, Thomas?" She turns around to face me, my hand still holding her arm. I look down at her eyes, seeing that they're starting to create tears.

I really don't need a crying Brenda right now.

"Me, the one person who loved you for so long and, Thomas, I still love you." She holds my arms tightly, and I shake my head as she walks closer to me.

"Brenda, you don't know what you're saying. You're drunk."

"I'm not drunk!" She exclaims, releasing my arms with force as she turns around to the room. "I am not drunk!"

I gulp slightly, wondering how this night is going to end.

We can't leave Brenda alone outside in the state she is in. It would be dangerous and we wouldn't be able to rest if we did so. She was once our best friend after all; but on the other hand, she can't stay either.

Whilst Brenda is saying nonsense and stumbling and chuckling, my eyes drift to my left, where Teresa is sitting, looking carefully at her.

I don't think they've ever met before, and, unfortunately, I didn't think it would be this way.