Chapter Five

That was my cue to blink. I didn't manage a word as he turned and headed downstairs leaving me there, shocked and breathless. That did just happen, right? I hadn't imagined it? I wasn't just going to suddenly wake up in my bed? But the seconds I took to contemplate, I knew there was just no way I could deny it. And what had I done about it? Nothing. I'd stood there allowing some male to impeach my personal space, whisper something inappropriate and I wasn't complaining about it. Now did that sound like a happy married woman? I wasn't so sure anymore.

I slid my back onto the wall adjacent to the bathroom door, closing my eyes as I tried to focus my mind elsewhere. But it made no use against the burning heat below, the goose bumps erecting across my skin and that inevitable hammering of my heart I experienced around him. What was wrong with me? I am married. A married woman, not some love sick teenager. I've been with Nick since I could remember and now my body was behaving in ways I deemed wrong. What was it trying to say to me?

There was no use staying there longer, I had to move and find Nick. Perhaps with persuasion I could convince him to leave with me. There was just no way I could stay any longer in this imprisonment knowing the very man who lived here was torturing my emotions and suddenly messing with my morals. But I haven't done anything, I scoffed to myself. It's not like I've cheated. He didn't kiss me and if he did, surely, I would have slapped him? But then why did I allow his hands to grope me? I could have taken control. But I didn't. So, what did that mean?

"Nick," I hissed quietly, after I slithered through the group of people towards him. I shut up instantly as I acknowledged Shane, who was chatting with him. What had he said? Was he telling my husband I'd allowed him to speak and touch me like that upstairs?

Nick embraced me into a side hug, the smell of alcohol evident upon his breath as he smiled. "Babe, there you are. I wondered where you headed off to. Everything okay? Shane, here, was just telling me I'm welcome to come on and over and watch the football with him. Have you seen his television, it's like a cinema screen!"

I shook my head. "No, Nick—"

"---You're also welcome, Rose," Shane interjected, his acorn coloured eyes meeting mine, and lingering there longer than necessary. I bit my inner cheek forcing my eyes away as I squeezed Nick's arm. "Babe, can we go? I don't feel so well. I think the wine has gone to my head a little," I said encouragingly.

"Awh, Rose. I was---"

"---Please," I persisted, kissing his cheek, "take me home." I looked at him suggestively hoping it would persuade him.

Nick sighed lightly. "Sure, hun. I'll take you home." Then he held his hand out to Shane. "Well, it was really nice of you to invite us over tonight. My wife and I really enjoyed it. I'll hold your word also on the football." He grinned as did Shane as their hands shook sternly.

"I thank you for coming," Shane replied, before he looked towards me. "I hope you feel better, Rose."

My mouth was feeling drier that I wasn't surprised if tumbleweed suddenly rolled over my tongue. Why did he have to look at me like that? And why did I respond to him like that? I held onto Nick wanting Shane to know that I wasn't interested and that I am happily married woman. It probably didn't look as convincing, but I was only grateful that Nick was leading me away; my safety net. I no longer felt trapped as we left through the front door, our shoes crunching under the pebbles. I could breathe, and I needed to, sucking in air.

"Shame we couldn't stay any longer," Nick commented as we turned onto our driveway passing the red SUV, and my sliver convertible. "I was enjoying myself. But nonetheless, you're more important, babe. So, let's get you upstairs, tucked up in your pjs and into bed. Okay?" His comforting tone a relish to my ears knowing I was secure from myself and him.