Chapter Twenty Six

Six years ago...

I was a little impatient, desperate to free my eyes from the blindfold but Nick was stern, refusing to allow me to peek as he steered my movement to where ever he decided he wanted my feet to go. I had no idea where we were going. With seconds of getting out the car, Nick had imprisoned my vision with the invitation of an incoming surprise. That was something I couldn't refuse. Nor did I have a clue what he was planning. We had after all just come back from our date night at the local theatre and after dining at a lovely Mexican cuisine restaurant. And now we had pulled up outside Nick's apartment block. Whatever was he planning?

"No peeking, Rose. C'mon, just a couple more steps. I promise."

"Where are you taking me, Nick?" I asked, my excitement on the rise as I felt the replacement of gravel for soft grass beneath the soles of my heels. We were still outside. Nick must be taking me to the shared communal garden. Or he was playing around with me. Whatever he had planned was driving me insane. I needed to know.

"Okay on the count of three. I'm going to remove your blindfold. You ready?"

"Yes!" Yes! Nick' c'mon. I want to see!" I squealed excitedly.

Gently, I felt his fingers untie the blindfold and remove it from my face. I was shocked. I couldn't believe my eyes. Was I dreaming? What was this? My lips quivered, tears brimmed and my knees felt wobbly as if I would collapse at any point. Ahead, red heart shaped balloons, a dozen or so small candles lit upon the wooden table, and pictures of us from our many years of adventures were plastered across the table, some in frames. It was just so unexpected but so dearly romantic.

Nick slid beside me and swiftly bent down to one knee. His hand rummaged into his trouser pocket. I felt my heart suddenly climbing, beating faster than a bird flapping its wings. It felt like any second that my heart would jump out of its cage. And then I couldn't help it. Tears started to cascade down my cheeks as Nick pulled out a black box and revealed a silver diamond ring sat comfortably in the black satin plush.

"Rose," he began, smiling from ear to ear. "I loved you the second my eyes lay on you. Since then, we've grown together, we've been through it all. And there's no one else I could imagine spending the rest of my life with. One day I'll hope one day we look back at all these memories when we're old and grey and smile at the life we've created together. Because, baby, you're one in a million. Will you marry me, Rose Pierce?" he finished, wiping a tear from his own cheek.

I couldn't stop blubbering but it didn't stop me from accepting with joy. "Yes! Yes! I'll marry you!" I squealed, admiring the fit of the ring sliding over my fourth left finger. It was beautiful but it wasn't as beautiful as the man kneeling down before me. My hands clasped his encouraging him to stand up. His arms embraced me before we shared a kiss, shaking in our own skins with excitement. I was engaged! I was going to become Mrs Stanton. I was going to marry my true love. The man I could see sharing my entire existence with until the very last day we take our breaths. I was more than content. I was over the moon.

Present...

My fingers stopped fiddling with the old sliver ring as I plopped it back into the drawer of my jewellery box. What a memory. A memory I thought I could hold onto for a lifetime without regrets. There wasn't the regret of marrying Nick. No. I couldn't be more thankful. It was the regret I had cheated on the memory. And now I was paying the price by destroying what I had. Angie. Nick. And soon I would destroy Shane. It was inevitable. It was just when was the question.

I was filled with envy for that woman, the old me who undeniably loved Nick. I wanted to warn her, tell her the price she would meet. The choice of cheating or remaining faithful but that was impossible because the past had merged within me. She was dead. No longer part of this earth. And I was here to stay. The unfaithful half. A monster.