Chapter Twenty Four

Shane slid his finger out, his eyes darkly watching me as I exhaled blissfully, desperately trying to hold onto the little sanity I felt I had left. He said not a word as he sucked on the tip of his index finger, tasting me. I was hooked, unable to stop myself as I leaned over, my hands pulling on his collar as I kissed him deeply. He responded, growling at the back of his throat as his hands slid around my waist. I stretched over, aiming to miss the gear stick as I begged more of him, my tongue clashing with his passionately. I was certain we were going to take things further; his hand was making its way to my dress zipper. But then we had to break away. It was my phone ringing within the chambers of my clutch.

"To be continued," he muttered as he drew back and then licked his bottom lip. I blushed as I grabbed my phone from my clutch and swiped to answer the beckoning call.

"Hello Nick, everything okay?" I replied, leaning my elbow on the exterior as Zack started the car and drove off the curb.

"Hey, hun. You there yet?"

"Nearly. Bit of traffic into town," I lied, shamefully re-visiting the seconds of bliss before he'd called.

"Ah, that's alright then. Just wanted to check in. I'm about to meet Regina in a bit. I'll see you later tonight, okay hun. Love you."

"Yeah, love you. I'll see you later," I responded before ending the call. Zack was quiet beside me as he focused ahead on the road. I wasn't sure what to say. I was starting to feel that Shane was getting more fed up and annoyed with the entirety of our situation. It seemed more than clear that he was starting to feel jealous of my relationship with Nick. I couldn't exactly blame him. I was stringing both men along at this point.

"Are you okay?" I meekly piped up, after not a word have been breathed from between us for two minutes. I knew what was wrong. It's not like I needed to ask. Shane was annoyed. I could tell.

Shane glanced briefly over before resuming his attention to the road. He didn't say anything. I was certain he wasn't going to until he finally did. "How long are you gonna keep this up?"

"Keep what up?"

"That. Your whole sham of marriage," he said.

I was starting to find Shane's behaviour strange. At the heat of things, Shane had never seemed completely aggressive towards my marriage, he was just more invested in me. Now, he was beginning to fall from the seams, completely obsessed with the destruction of my marriage. It's not like I could blame him. I'm sure I wouldn't like it if someone I loved was still wrapped in the pickle with their marriage and messing about with me. But as selfish as it sounded, I had thought Shane wasn't like that, I thought he was...cool with a situation like this. I know that sounded bad.

"Shane—" I began, stopping as I failed to come up with a possible answer. You're pathetic, Rose.

"I'm just sick of waiting, Rose," he replied, turning the wheel to the right as we headed down the main street into town. "Like, I get it. It's hard. Someone you thought you were madly in love with, isn't who you want anymore. It's hard, I get it. But at the end of the day, Rose. You're not in love with him no more. It's now you should be making changes...before it bites you in the ass," he explained, sounding sullen. He was right. I knew he was right. Everything coming out of that pretty mouth of his was right. I'm not in love with Nick, I don't want a baby with Nick and I certainly don't enjoy sex with Nick anymore. But even though all the facts were plain as can be before me, I still felt conflicted.

"Shane," I sighed, readjusting my hands within my lap. "I just need time. It is hard. I can't just drop everything...not just yet."

"I know, Rose. I know."