Paradise Farms 1824

Paradise Farm 1824

Lady Eden Bedford sat in her study going over the books for her stables. When her Butler came into announce she had a guest.

"Lady Bedford, the Earl is here to see you."

Eden looked up from what she was doing and smiled.

"Please send my father in Clark."

He bowed and was gone returning with Eden's father. She was up and across the room to greet her father who walked into the room with his arms wide open. The look on the Earl's face was all anyone would need to see for them to know how much he cherished his daughter. Once the embrace broke up Eden gave him a look of concern.

"What has happened?"

He laughed,

"Do I really need a reason to want to come and visit?"

"No but usually you wait till a weekend not in the middle of the week."

He brought her over to the sofa and had her sit down where he joined her. He kept hold of both of her hands. He knew she wasn't going to be happy at the news but in the long run he was sure she would be.

"The truth is I came to ask a favor of you."

She waited, she knew she would refuse him nothing after all he had done for her by buying her this farm and encouraging her to raise her horses; after she had three seasons and found no one she could love. The Earl wanted both of his children to marry for love, and only love. His son Edward had found love a few years back and married and now had a couple of children with one of the way. Now all he could hope was Eden could find the same thing. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"It seems Millie is with child once again and the Doctor has said she must stay in bed, and it is supposed to be Lizzy's first season and if you can not do it then she will have to put it off another year. I have already taken the liberty to send for Mrs. Hartman to fit you for a new wardrobe."

She knew there was no arguing with him after all he had done for her. But she wasn't going to give in so easily she was going to make him squirm a little. What fun would it be if she did not?

"You want me an unmarried female to escort Millie's sister during this season. I would not think I have the connections to get her into the balls that you or Millie can get her into. I have been off the market. What good could I do her?"

He laughed the one thing his daughter had was good connections. But he came prepared for this question.

"The Duchess will make sure you and Lizzy get into the best parties of the season."

"What about my horses?"

It was his turn to scowl at her. Her breeding farm was running in the black and he had made sure she had the best help in running it. She could take a year and her farm would run sufficiently.

"I am sure Bart is capable of running things that is what he is here for. Look at this as an opportunity to promote the farm and the wonderful horses you have."

He knew she would never miss an opportunity to get the word out about her horses. So, he sat and waited and knowing, the answer and waiting for the answer were completely different things.

"When would you expect me to drop everything and take up residence in London?"

"By the end of March."

"Fine I have not been to London in a while I could use a little pampering. This my dear father is going to cost you."

"I can live with that."

He leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. He knew that if all went as planned she would be happily married by the end of the season if not soon after.