3

She turned to Eden and kissed her on the cheek and then turned and strolled off towards her carriage. Eden did not say a word she figured the Dowager had said it all. The next morning Eden dressed before dawn and left for her morning ride. Nic waited to see if Eden was up and riding this early in the morning. He knew when he heard the galloping of the horse it was her. He watched as she sped by him her hair free and flying in the wind. He had decided to catch her he had thought of nothing else since their dance and he could not wait till tonight to see her.

Eden was lost in her own world thinking about Nikki, he had remembered his promise of dancing with her with the sound of music. The feel of his arms around her had filled her with heat she didn't even knew existed in places she never felt anything before. The Warmth he had infused her with would be something to keep her warm on those long lonely night. She hadn't heard him and when she saw him she thought she was dreaming. He was passing her, and she urged Edolas forward, but Nikki was still ahead. He looked so magnificent riding but to Eden Nikki always looked magnificent. When he reached the line of trees he stopped and watched as she finished the race.

Her face was lit up with a smile, one that sent shivers down his spine.

"Nikki what a pleasant surprise?"

He got down off his horse and went to stand by her and her mount. She slid off the horse with his help and they walked the horses, so they could talk.

"How have you been? It has been a while since we have seen each other."

She looked playfully up at him.

"Nikki you must find your copy for he was at the ball last night as you."

He laughed she always made him laugh.

"Fair point, I meant it has been since my sister wedding."

"I find that I am doing well. I love living out in the country with only my horses to keep me company."

He shook his head he always knew she loved the quite life of the country. That was why her father had sent her to stay with them over the summers because she loved being out of doors.

"What brings you back to the city?"

"Millie is with child again and confined to bed. It was to be her sister Lizzy's first season and instead of postponing it I was volunteered for child tending."

"It can't be all that bad."

She gave him the look that said indeed it was that bad.

"Yesterday she threw an automizer that was my Aunt Mary's at the wall because she didn't think she was pretty enough. Last night your mother gave her a warning that if she didn't behave she would have her move in to your townhouse or sent back to Edward."

"What did my mother have cause to reprimand her about?"

"Seems the girl has it in her head she was not paid the proper amount of attention. She was upset your mother said we would be going to a concert tonight instead of a ball."

"I see, and did you get the proper amount of attention?"

Eden laughed.

"Oh, Nikki I am not here to find a husband, so any or not at all the attention I get is sufficient."

"Don't you want to find someone to grow old with?"

She didn't say anything for the longest time she knew she needed to be careful about how she said this and not give away her heart.

"I will only marry for love. I believe life without love is no life at all. I won't settle for less. My parents had it your parents had it. You sister found it after one season, so I refuse to settle for a loveless marriage."

They walked a time before she finished her sentiment.

"I want to feel passion and I don't think without love one can feel that. Silly I know."

Her words rocked him to his core and his damn traitorous body would give him away if she looked in the direction of his arousal. He had always known Eden to be passionate about everything she did. The thought of her bring her passion for life into the bedroom suddenly overwhelmed his senses, and he could not get the thought of the passion they could share together out of his bloody head. He was so lost in his thought he hadn't heard her question she seemed to be repeating.

"Nikki, would you like to join me for breakfast. I know cook made more than enough for the likes of me to eat?"

He could only nod he would like that because suddenly he was at a loss of words. Images of the two of them locked in a passionate embrace still filling his head. When they arrived back at her townhouse it appeared strange the butler didn't give him a second thought after bowing and addressing him as his grace. It was like he expected him to be there for a morning meal.

The two of them sat at the table talking about horses. She surprised him with her knowledge and the fact her little hobby of a horse farm acquired the breeding rights to Marcellus the favorite to win this year's Golden cup.

"I have been trying to get the Earl of Darlington to give me the breeding rights to Marcellus, what manner did you bewitch the man?"

"I batted my eyes and pouted."

He looked at her wide eyed he had offered the Earl pounds of money all the Earl had to do was name a price.

Eden saw the look on Nikki's face and laughed.

"He owed my father a favor, he helped the Earls out of some predicament or another. You really think I could get the breeding rights to a horse by flirting. You think more of my charms than I do."

"I can see you charming Carl with the a plate of hot cross buns?"

She laughed at his silliness. No one would ever think her that charming. He left after their meal he had some appointments to tend to and she had some business to attend to as well. Eden spent the day in the study going over the books she had brought with her. She knew the moment Lizzy woke up she was screeching at the top of her lungs. She wanted to stay in the study, but it wouldn't be fair to the staff to let them deal with her. She opened the door and found Lizzy in her face.

"Why didn't you tell me the Duke was coming to breakfast?"

"Maybe because it wasn't planned, and this is my house I do not have to let you know who I invite to break my fast with."

Lizzy stormed off, Eden could see the staff melting into the wood work to try and avoid being the person who she would unleash her anger at. Eden was going to have to do something before the girl ruined all her family's things. To Eden's joy that was the only tantrum Lizzy had today and she was ready to go to dinner on time.