5

At one in the morning Eden went to her room so she could rest before her ride in the morning hopefully she had avoided Lizzy. Her night clothes were laid out. Eden thought it strange her bed had not been turned down which was her maid's custom. She decided to get herself ready for bed it wasn't the first time she would have done it. After all she wasn't helpless but the help getting out of her dress would have been appreciated.

She shimmied out of her dress and stripped so she could put on her nightdress. She picked up the gown and as soon as she touched it her hands seem to tingle but she didn't think to much of it she slid it over her head and turned to go to bed when suddenly she felt like she was on fire. She didn't know what to do the fire was getting worse. Even her hands went from tingling to burning. She looked down and saw her hands starting to blister. She ran for her pull cord and called for Callie. She tried to get the gown off but with her hands burning she couldn't get it off by herself. She ripped it off it was light for the summer and she couldn't wait for help. When Callie walked in Eden knew it must be bad because the girl started to scream waking the staff.

Mrs. Sommers came rushing in and saw what the maid was screaming about and went out to fix things. She called for cool water to be brought up and that they needed to hurry. She also called for Fenton to fetch the doctor. By the time the doctor arrived Mrs. Sommers had Eden in a tub of water and then in bed. Once he looked at the burns on her hands and shoulders they were the main parts that had been burned. There was a minor burn on her chest. It would be visible with most of the dresses she would be wearing but there was nothing to be done about that. He put a salve on her and told Mrs. Sommers to apply it three times a day. He then left the room with Mrs. Sommers not before grabbing the nightdress she had ripped off.

"Those are burns are not accidental."

He held up the nightdress but before he examined it he put on his black leather gloves then he carefully examined it. As soon as he touched the yoke of the gown a white power showed up on his gloves. He smelled it and grounded it between his fingers, and he was able to tell what it was. Someone put straight lye into her clothing who ever it was meant the Lady harm. Mrs. Sommers paled. She would have to let the Earl know and the Dowager Duchess since she was responsible for the girls while they were in London. Once the Doctor left and Eden was checked she went to dispatch the letter to the Duchess letting her know she would write the Earl on her recommendation.

Eden awoke early and quietly dressed to go riding. Mrs. Sommers had a long night and she had scared her lady's maid to death, so she wanted them both to get some rest. She had a special split skirt riding dress that was loose and short sleeves that would not rub on her burns. She headed to her father's room and found a pair of his leather riding gloves they were bigger and would fit over the bandages the doctor had put on her fingers. She went out to the stable and found John waiting for her apparently, he had not heard about what happened last night and she was glad for it.

Eden road out to the park and was happy to see Nikki there waiting for her.

"I wasn't sure you would be here."

He piqued his brow.

"Why would I not be hear I prize our morning rides."

"As Do I Nikki, as do I."

They road for an hour then walked the horses back to her townhouse where they would share a morning meal. When they walked through the door they were met with not only Mrs. Sommers, but the Dowager Duchess who was there angry as a hornet.

The Dowager was the one who started the tirade of yelling.

"What are you doing out of bed?"

"I went riding."