4

Upon arriving at the Dukes town house Eden was delighted to see Natalie and her husband in attendance. Lizzy was delighted to see the Duke. She had decided she would do everything in her power to make him notice her. Lizzy boldly walked up to the Duke ignoring everyone else in the room and practically threw herself at him. Eden was upset not that she had any claim to Nikki but in the back of her mind he had always been hers, since that first dance. The Dowager Duchess saw the look of jealousy cross Eden's face she had to wonder what storm was coming.

It was Natalie who restored the peace in the room.

"Nic you are ignoring the rest of us peons, you must break away and come join the party."

She could see the relief on her brothers face when she had given him the excuse he needed to get away from obnoxious girl. He went over to Eden and took her hand and kissed it. Before he could say anything, Farnsworth was calling them to dinner. He took the hand he was holding and placed it upon his arm and escorted Eden in to the dining room. Eden could hear Lizzy growling behind them. This gave Eden immense pleasure. That night at the concert Nic was wedged in between Eden and Lizzy who he had tried to remove himself from but was having no luck.

When the music started Eden was watching the players with interest. Nic had to think she was not paying attention to what was happening on his left. Lizzy was being very inappropriate and was placing her hands upon his person. Not something one would do to a Duke with out an invitation. It was when she leaned over him and directed her comment to Lizzy he found out she knew exactly what Lizzy was doing.

"If you don't remove yourself from the Dukes person I will have to remove it and then I will call my brother and have him remove you from London and this season."

Then she sat back up as if nothing had happened and went back to watching the concert. The Dowager Duchess smiled at the scene after all things were going famously, the problem was if Lizzy put herself in a position and forced her son to compromise her then all would be lost, and she would be stuck with a shrew for a daughter in law. She was going to have to write to Wayne and tell him Lizzy had been in the way and was not doing their efforts any good.

During intermission refreshments were brought to their box and guests stated to arrive for an intimate gathering. Lizzy was still clinging on to the Duke and Eden decided to use the charms Nikki seemed to think she was in possession of to see if he would even notice her or was his focus on Lizzy. She spotted Lord Harrington watching her. She gave him a seductive smile and low and behold the man appeared at her side.

"Lady Bedford what a wonderful surprise to see you back in London."

She said nothing she just smiled.

"I would be honored to call on you while you are in town."

She batted her eyes.

"I would like that, My Lord, since my father is out of town the townhouse has not had many visitors."

"I heard you like to ride my lady?"

"I do."

"I would be honored to take you for a ride in the park tomorrow."

She was about to accept but Nic interrupted.

"I believe we are riding tomorrow morning are we not?"

She pondered what he said and gave him a sly smile.

"I do believe you mentioned something similar, but you have been so occupied this evening you never mentioned if that was still your intention."

Nikki knew she was challenging him and he was ready to call her bluff when Lizzy stepped in and ruined the moment.

"I would love to join all of you on a ride tomorrow."

A collective groan came from both the Duke and Eden. Eden turned to Lord Harrington

"Let us make it a party, I will have my cook make something for a picnic and we can have a meal in the park. Let us meet at midday. That should give Lady Parker time to get ready, I don't believe Lizzy rises before then."

Nikki laughed at Eden's attempt to call out Lizzy without calling her out. Lizzy was not quite as good at the game as Eden was laughed and agreed even midday was early, but she would be grateful to make the sacrifice of her beauty sleep for such esteemed company. Both men agreed and so it was settled they would arrive at the Bedford home at midday. Little did Dale know Nikki and Eden had an early morning ride planed. Well he hoped they had an early morning ride she seemed to be a little upset, but he didn't think she was mad at him. He would find out in the morning.

That night on the way back to the townhouse Eden was looking out the carriage thinking about her early morning ride. Hoping Nikki would be there to ride with her. She knew there was a chance he wouldn't be riding in the morning since they would be riding that afternoon, but one could always hope. Lizzy's talking was a distraction and when she finally realized what Lizzy was saying she turned her attention to her.

"I think the Duke is quite taken with me. I am sure he will call on me after our ride tomorrow."

"Are you sure you are not reading something into him being polite tonight. After all every time he tried to get away from you, you clung to him like a clinging vine on a trellis. You were smothering."

"I beg to differ I think he was appreciative of all the attention."

"I don't think you know Nikki well enough to judge that."
The look on Lizzy's face at the mention of his name was enough to send her in to hysterics but she maintained her composer and waited to see what Lizzy had to say.

"You are so disrespectful to his Grace you never address him properly. You don't hear his family calling him Nikki do you for land sakes he's a Duke not a little girl."

Eden took a deep breath and let it out slowly, before she spoke.

"I have always called him Nikki, he has not nor has his mother told me to stop calling him Nikki. If you don't like that I call a childhood friend by his given name them I suggest you not be around the two of us when we talk. It's not as if he calls me Lady Bedford he calls me by the name he gave me when we were children. So, mind your own business."

The carriage stopped, and Lizzy jumped out without waiting for assistance and started to storm into the house. Eden could hear her ranting.

"He is to be my husband so it bloody well is my business."

Eden followed Lizzy into the house, but she went into her study she didn't want to meet Lizzy upstairs, so she would wait till she was securely in her room. She didn't need anymore tantrums.