2

The room was packed with people Lady Drumfeld's party was a success if the amount of people you could squeeze into a room was the standard used to tell. Lizzy and Eden made their way over to the Dowager Duchess who was waiting for them. Both girls curtsied and then stood on either side of her. The Dowager Duchess turned to Lizzy and gave the girl a warm smile.

"You look lovely tonight Lizzy you will attract a lot of attention."

She turned to Eden and gave her a mischievous smile giving Eden pause to think the Dowager Duchess seemed to be up to something. She had known the Duchess long enough to know she was up to something, but she couldn't figure out what. That was when Eden saw him out of the corner of her eye and then her full attention turned to the man who had since she was thirteen years old was the star of all her dreams. . She couldn't take her eyes off him she didn't think he would even be there after all he was only two and twenty and certainly not ready for marriage. He was a sight with his chestnut brown hair and his matching eyes. He was walking towards them his eyes never leaving her gaze.

When he arrived where they were standing he only had eyes for Eden. The first words out of her mouth should have been your grace but something brought her back to when she was thirteen and they had grown close.

"Nikki"

He smiled at the endearment.

"Eddie, I believe you owe me a waltz."

He held out his hand as the first cords of the orchestra sounded. It was if he had planned the entire thing. He didn't say anything he just smiled. Which Eden was certain reflected the same silly look on her face. Half way through the dance he finally spoke.

"You are just as I remember, beautiful."

Eden laughed,

"I think you are taller or perhaps I have shrunk."

It was his turn to laugh the last time they had seen each other he might have been five feet six but now he was six feet two.

The Music stopped, and he took her hand and started to take her over to his mother, but something stopped him and when the next song started he pulled her back out on to the dancefloor. Eden didn't mind after all she was not there to find a husband and she didn't care if his attention scared a suitor off.

Over where the Dowager Duchess stood she had a knowing smile play across her lips. Perhaps her and Wayne's plan would work and there would be a wedding by the end of the season. A mother could only hope. When he brought Eden back to his mother he bowed to her and smiled.

"Mother."

He kissed Eden's hand

"Until we see each other again."

Then he was gone leaving Eden already longing for the next time. It was Lizzy who brought her back to the ball.

"I cannot believe you it is my season and you ran off with a Duke. Leaving me here to watch."

Eden looked over at her and smiled.

"I believe you were dancing with Lord Carver I don't think that is sitting on the sidelines."

It was a look from the Dowager Duchess that quieted Lizzy. For the rest of the night Lizzy was on the dancefloor keeping away from the Dowager Duchess. Nic had walked over towards the game room thinking to play a hand of cards, but something kept him in the ballroom watching Eden. When she went out on the floor with Kenton it filled him with rage. Kenton was looking for a rich wife he had already gone through his inheritance and was barely hanging on from ruin. When the next waltz started he was incensed when she was dancing with Cranston he was going to kill him his hands were entirely in the wrong position, he would let his mother know Eden shouldn't dance with Cranston he was no gentlemen.

At the end of the evening The Dowager Duchess reminded them that they would be having dinner at her residence the next night and attend a concert. Lizzy didn't seem very happy with this information and was ready to throw one of her fits but the Dowager stopper her with her words.

"Lizzy I will revoke my sponsorship of you if you do not behave. If I find you are causing any trouble for Eden I will have you moved into my home and you will lose the freedom you have living with her. If that does not curb your behavior I will send you back to your brother in law and he can deal with you."