6

That night at the ball both women seemed to be not talking to one another the Dowager Duchess wasn't sure if she was relieved or worried something more sinister would occur. When they walked into the ballroom all eyes seemed to be on them, or Eden thought perhaps her bodyguard. He was to watch her until Nikki got there to take over his duties.

She knew the moment he entered the room he seemed to suck all the air out of it. He walked across the ballroom greeting people he knew and eyeing people he didn't he was determined to find out who hurt his Eddie. He shook his head where did that thought come from "His Eddie". He saw her the moment he entered the ballroom she was hard to miss with her ebony hair she stood out no matter where she was. He walked straight over to her nodded at the body guard who left upon the Dukes arrival. He held out his hand offering to dance with her. He knew she was upset with him, but he could live with that until he found out who was hurting her. She went to take the offered hand she might be mad at him, but she would never refuse him anything. To both of their surprises Lizzy put her hand in his and squealed with delight.

"I would be honored Nikki to accept your offer."

The Dowager Duchess looked to the young girl and scowled. Eden stood there in shock and ready to pull Lizzy's hair out. Nic didn't have much of a choice but to take her out on the floor and dance with her, she would be the laughing stock of the season if he called her out. Much to his dismay it was a waltz. They stood on the dance floor waiting for the music to start.

"You must address me as your Grace not Nikki."

"Eden calls you Nikki I have never heard her call you by your title. How is that fair after all I have decided that we would suit well together."

He looked down on the child for that is how he saw her he didn't smile he scowled. She shivered.

"Do not look at me with anger I am telling you I am fond of you it is nothing to be so upset about."

"I think it is for me to decide who I will marry and let me assure you it will not be you."

The music started, and they began to dance. The looked over at Eden she could tell the girl was seething in anger.

"Fight for him."

Eden turned to look at the Dowager Duchess,

"I beg your pardon."

"My dear girl you have been in love with my son since you were a young child and I have always thought he was in love with you. When he came home from school or a trip he would always ask Natalie about you. Are you going to let her steal him away?"

Eden straitened up her spine and she squared her shoulders.

"No, your Grace I will not let her steal him away. I have waited Eight years for him to notice I was all grown up."

The Dowager Duchess gave Eden a warm smile.

"He's noticed."

When the dance ended he brought the obnoxious child over to his mother glad to be rid of her. He noticed something different about Eddie.

"Are you feeling alright?"

The Dowager Duchess who was not looking at the couple but out at the crowd gave a curt nod. Eden knew what she meant by the nod but Nic was confused.

"I would like a little air if you wouldn't mind?"
He took her hand gently and led her out into the garden. It was a full moon and the sounds of the running water of the fountain filled the quiet of the garden the sounds of the ball diminishing the farther they walked. They found a bench over near the roses and they sat and shared the beauty of the garden.