Rosalie Marie Gressil - June 17, 1882

Dear Levi,

Dear Levi,

Let me begin by telling you how terribly sorry I am for putting you in this situation. You warned me and I did not take heed. This is entirely my error and I could not fault you for turning away from me—but I will surely die if you do. All I can ask is that, when you go before my father and recount the details of my wrongdoing, please speak gently of me. I should have been more careful. I should never have allowed myself to become close to Augustine.

If I am frank, I thought I loved him, Levi, honestly I did. I indulged in a daydream. For an instant I believed that I could have more—be more. It was a blunder that I may never recover from. Arden will surely never allow me to forget it. He has been my jailor since he dragged me from Augustine earlier this very morning. Levi, I do not think Berith will let him live. He has been out of favor for some time and this, I, may be the last straw. The thought of it hurts my heart.

I have always been a pretty girl—a good worker. I am still faithful to the cause; I would beg you to convince my father of this. My numbers are always high. The turnouts are on the rise and my performances are, as you can attest, superlative. My name has done wonders for the Royal. I have always been devoted; do not turn from me now.

People are asking questions as to your whereabouts and as to the records from the past half-year. I would remain wary. I do not know what it is you are up to, but I fear that even your proximity to our commander is not enough to protect you from his wrath.

 I do not know what it is you are up to, but I fear that even your proximity to our commander is not enough to protect you from his wrath