Miss Johanna Bell McCall - July 28, 1882

Gabriel,

Gabriel,

You must return now. Leviathan has come to Merritt with warnings, ones that she does not understand, but are being made quite clear to me. I do not believe that he knows exactly who she is, only that she is involved with us. He is suspicious of us and, now, of Merritt.

He is in our very house as I write this. He came today demanding to see her, I did not oppose, as this is what she would want if she had sense enough to know her own mind. I see no reason to keep them apart, not anymore. But things have gone very badly. He knows what we are and is now urging us to stand down lest we find ourselves against an enemy we cannot defeat. He told Merritt that I have no past—regretfully true. We have been lucky up until this moment, Gabriel, but such blessings cannot last forever. The time has come. Return.

Leviathan tells us that Lucius has not solidified Merritt's identity and has held off acting because of it. She is in sure danger and everyone knows it but her. You must come back, please come back. If you linger Leviathan will discover who Merritt is and tell her the truth—a task, which you have been adamant, must be reserved for you.

There is so much more to this tale but I am currently unable to recount it all in detail. I am sending this by foot with one of the neighbor boys. He promises he can get it to you within the hour—I am skeptical. Regardless, please tip him well, he is a dear boy and I appreciate his enthusiasm.

I beg that you come with haste.

Your friend and sister,