Mr. Gabriel Reed Farley - July 26, 1882

Dear Johanna,

Dear Johanna,

Donovan is unable to receive mail for a time, as to not arouse suspicions, and so I have taken it upon myself to read and respond to his letters. I shall start with yours, although I do wish you had come to me directly. Even if we do not agree, I have never turned you away and will always listen to your anxieties—especially where our dear friend is concerned.

Let me begin by saying, I have been keeping watch over her. So has Donovan. Our friend has been kind enough to put off his joining us so that he might be able to keep a closer eye on Merritt and relay what information he see to myself. I understand that you are worried, I am as well, but we must trust that things will unfold how they should. I have yet to receive my orders and will not act until I am given clearance to do so. I have been assured that no harm will come to Merritt as of yet, if at all. Donovan reports that Lucius has not tried to harm her and that any afflictions are of Merritt's own doing. You must understand that I am not keeping her identity from her out of malice or because I disagree with the choices that have led us to this. I am waiting for a higher command.

Lucius is testing her with fire. I expected that he would since this is surely what first led to his interest to her. If only I had been at the house during that fire I might have prolonged all of this. If she had been allowed to grow up as a regular girl might, as we had initially intended, then she would not be so reliant on Lucius. She views him as her savior. I know this and it pains me. She is so much better than this. Cassiel is better than this.

He knows that our kind cannot be burnt—he will soon realize that she is not of us. I expect that the tide will change in the coming days. I have received a vision telling me that the time is soon approaching. Lucius will act. If it is within my power then I shall not allow her to go against him blindly. She shall have the knowledge of herself and our presence to aid her.

Need I remind you that I too care deeply for her? I agreed to do this so that she might find peace, believe me it was not an easy choice. I know it was not easy for you either. It is hard to love someone who is as stubborn as she is. If only she knew what power she held within herself, who she is. There are moments when I see it in her and then there are moments when I cannot recognize the person in front of me. She has fallen so far, not in disgrace, just in her self. She has no confidence, a trait that I once greatly admired her for.

I suppose I say all of that to say this: I too miss her. I know that you did not mention this in your letter, but I have seen the sorrow on you. Johanna, you are not alone in your grief over Merritt. You feel as if you have lost a friend. But, I promise you, she will soon be returned to us and she will remember you. I do not break my promises. For now, you must remember that she cannot fully have a bond with you for she is not fully herself. I think that she knows it as well.

Take heart, my friend.