Family Feuds

Tonight was mine and Dad's night with my little brother.
The doorbell rang, I ran down the stairs to answer it. I opened the door to reveal my mum holding my brother.
"Hey mum"
"Hiya Gracie"
I love my mum but hate her at the same time. I live with Dad cos he isn't as selfish and self-centered as she is. Mum also couldn't handle bringing up a child, but she swore that bringing up Zac would be different.
(Apparently that's his name according to a website, sorry if I'm wrong)
Dad came up behind me, "Hi Claire " do you wanna come in for a bit?"
"No, I'm goin out with the girls"
"Not even to see your daughter for 10 minutes" he pleaded on my behalf
"It's fine Dad" I told him
"See ya love" mum kissed me and Zac on the cheek " See ya tomorrow " and she walked out.

I closed the front door and wandered into the kitchen. "Why don't we watch a film" Dad said.
"What do you want to watch buddy?" Zac pointed at a children's animated film on the shelf. I put the disk into the DVD player.

After a couple of hours I went to get chips for dinner. I walked into the chippy and I spotted Riz.
"Hey Riz" I greeted him
"You alright Grace, I saw you made up with your mates"
"Yeah, it's so good to be talking to them again"
"What about lover boy?" He wiggled his eyebrows.
"He is not my lover and no we haven't made up" I said frustrated " I thought he moved onto your sister anyway "
"That's what he thinks" Riz laughed, "I gave him my number instead of Alya's".
I couldn't help but burst into laughter.
" I better go but I'll see you tomorrow Riz" I payed for my chips and headed home.

***************************

"Where is she" Mandy panicked. I was eating my breakfast with Zac. "We're gonna be late" She continued.
Zac was giggling and clapping at his worried step mum.
"We will just have to take him with us" Dad said calmly, not wanting to stress his wife out even more. Dad came over and picked up Zac, "looks like your coming to school little man"
My little brother kept clapping and smiling.
We all piled into the car and I strapped the toddler in. Mandy spent the whole journey slagging off my mum but I didn't mind one bit, she was probably sleeping or at the gym completely forgetting she had children.

We got to school, i grabbed my bag then picked up Zac. we walked into reception where Nas and Missy were waiting for me. I texted them in the car about our current situation.
"He's so cute" Missy gushed, " can I hold him?" She asked desperately.
"Sure" I placed the toddler in her arms.
"Grace" my dad called me over," can you take Zac to my office, I will be back after I call ya mum" . with that me and my friends began to walk to the other side of school. Some students gave us disgusted looks , they presumed that the toddler belonged to us. We reached dad's office just as the bell had rang. "It's OK, yous go to class" I told the girls.
"We'll see you at lunch" Nas said and the two teenagers left.

After 20 minutes of entertaining my brother Dad returned. "She won't answer my calls" he told me frustratedly, "I've got to teach a class now aswell" he groaned .
"It's OK dad" I reassured him, "you have my class so I can sit on the side and watch him"
"Come on then, we are already late" Dad grabbed Zac and we rushed out of the building into the quad. I grabbed a tennis ball out of the gym cupboard on my way so Zac could play with it.
"Is that your kid sir?" One boy shouted.
"Yes he is"
"Why's it here?" The boy asked again.
"Cos HE can't be left at home on his own"Dad told the teenager. Dad set Zac on the floor in the corner next to me.
" Right " he shouted, "let's play some basketball".

Near the end of the hour a figure in a blue leather jacket wandered through the gates. It was mum. I waved at Dad to get his attention, he looked at me with a confused look, I then pointed at the woman walking onto school property. His face filled with anger and he stormed over to mum. I picked up Zac who was rolling a ball and ran up to the two adults.
" What you playing at Claire" he raised his voice but not loud enough for my classmates to hear.
"I was having breakfast with a mate" she defended.
"I had to bring him to my place of work, Grace had to skip lessons to watch him" dad was getting angrier.
"I'm here now so it's alright" mum said.
"No it's bloody well not" Dad continued, " this better not happen again " he seethed.
"Grace, show your mum off the premises" he walked off back to his class.
"He was a bit angry" mum laughed.
"It ain't funny mum" I scolded my mother "it were a stupid and irresponsible thing to do"
"Don't you start aswell" she warned. We reached her car , I buckled Zac in and waved at him.
"Bye mum" I sighed
"See ya G" she smiled as if the last minute didn't occur. She turned the car on and drove away. Thank God that's over I thought.

***************************

So, what's up?" I asked the dark haired girl,
" My my dad wants me to get married to someone I've never met and I didn't know who else to talk to about it.He's already got me some lad in Pakistan." Nas told us.
"Is he forcing you?" Missy questioned
"No! No! No!" Nas stopped Missy,
"And my mum's dead against it but I heard them rowing about it last night. Then, me dad walked out but he hasn't been back since." Nas sighed.

"Well that's not your fault." I assured her.
"I know, but I feel bad. My mum can be really harsh with him sometimes."She carried on.
"Sounds like she's sticking up for you." Missy tried to persuade.
"Erm, I mean it's not what you want, is it?" I told her in a questioning tone.
"Course it's not what I want."

" Erm Can you talk to them?" Missy questioned again. "About how you feel?" The blonde's interrogation continued.
"They wouldn't understand." Nas huffes.
"They might surprise you." I tried to comfort her.
" No, they won't." The girl stated.
"I know what you need." I told her.
" Don't say chocolate." Nasreen pleaded.
Missy read my mind, "A rebound date."
"Need to get you a new girlfriend." I continued mine and Missy's great idea
"As if my life isn't complicated enough?" Nas said sarcastically
" It'll help you get over Lila!" Missy said excitedly
" Missy" Nas groaned, "My dad wants me to have an arranged marriage."
" Yeah, but you're not going to" I told her.
" I just I hate my dad not being there and Mum's trying to act like it's all normal saying 'he's in Bradford on business'. And then it's the thought of him being on his own." She sighed, " I don't want to upset him any more."
"So what you saying? " I asked.
"I can't date girls, Grace" I could tell my mate was upset.
"Not Lila, not anyone." Nas concluded.
" How are you ever going to be happy if you can't be yourself?" Missy gave another question.
"You don't get it, do you? Girls like me can't be themselves,Ever!"

***************************
It was now 4 o'clock and dad asked me to join his new rugby team.
"Come on." Dad gathered everyone in. As always, I was the only girl.
"Cory and Riz, each of you pick a team and we'll get a game going."
I was put on the same team as Jordan which I was happy about but Cory was captain which the made me frustrated. I can't tackle him if he's on my own team.
"Come on. Get back in your line Get back." Mr Bell shouted. Everyone was arguing. "I'll just wait till you lot have finished, then, shall I? " the P.E teacher shouted again
" Not playing with no racists." A year 11 shouted.
"Zain, shut up." I defended the younger Wilson brother. Jordan looked at me and nodded in a grateful manner.

I know Jordan is in the wrong but interference right now probably isn't a good idea. This team is supposed to bring us together not cause an argument. I'll have to pull him up on his behaviour later.

  "Thank you Grace"dad said even though he obviously wasn't grateful for my outburst, " Right, the object of the game is to get the ball over the opponents' try line. You've got six chances. If you don't manage to do it, it goes to the other team. Now, you can only pass the ball backwards."
"Backwards?" One boy questioned.
" Backwards" The teacher repeated, " otherwise it would be American football, wouldn't it? Football is a gentleman's game played by thugs. Rugby is a thug's game played by gentlemen. Behave like gentlemen, gentlemen."
"Oi!" I shouted at my Dad.
"And woman" he sighed.
Sadiq joined the group to offer his 'skills' to the team.
"By that, sir means, no punching no stamping, no pulling of hair, no gouging." Mr Nawaz told us.
" No biting." Dad continued, "But everything else is fair game."
" All right. All right. Right. Right. We're going to mix these teams up, now." Dad spoke again." Riz, take half of Cory's. Cory, take half of Riz's. Mo, take your bib off. Zain, bib off."
I was about to put a bib on when I heard dad call my name. " Grace stay on your team please" he said.
"You have got to be joking" I exclaimed in disgust, making eye contact with Cory. He just stood there and flashed his famous smirk. I turned to glare at my Dad. He took no notice of me and carried on the game.

-------------------------------------------

Finally fixed!
Thanks for reading, please vote and comment.
Francesca xx