Chapter One

——————

——————

"Emma, your friend Jake is here!" My dad screamed from down stairs. I had just finished a chapter in my summer reading book, Moby Dick.

Moments later Jake burst through my bedroom door. "Jeez, you're so loud," I rolled up my eyes and put a bookmark in my book. I set it down and stood up.

"That's no way to greet your friend," Jake smiled and wrapped his arms around me. We haven't seen each other all school year. We go to different schools and our schedules never meet up.

"So, I was going to ask, what do you think about going with me and my family to a lake house?" I took a seat on my bed.

"Uh, sure. I guess there is nothing else to really do," I shrugged. "Who's going to be there?"

"My dad, my brothers, my uncle and aunt, their kids."

"Sounds fun. Does that mean Tom is going to be there?" I brushed hair out of my face.

"Do you like him or something?" Jake teased, raising a brow.

"What?! I barely know him!" I slap Jake on the arm. He laughs and starts to tickle me. Somehow I ended up on the floor screaming. Finally I was able to kick him in the chest. He released and dove out from under him. While laughing, I pushed Jake to the floor.

We laid on the floor laughing. "God I missed you," Jake smiled, wrapping an arm around me. I snuggled into his chest and we reminisced about old times. We caught up with each other, but some how we ended up talking about Tom again.

"I haven't seen him in three years!" I put my hands on my temples.

"Since 7th grade," Jake laughed. "But I just saw him last year for Thanksgiving. He's a mathlete or something like that. He's really smart."

"Cool, good for him."

——————————————

3 Days Later

I quickly packed a bag, forgetting to the day prior. I rushed down the stairs and to the door. "You're not leaving without giving your father a goodbye hug!" My dad exclaimed, walking slowly over to me.

"Of course I wouldn't forget," I smiled, wrapping my arms around his waist. He kissed my dirty blond hair.

"Have fun," he pulled away form the hug. I waved goodbye as I walked out the front door. Jake told me to be there at 1 pm. I shoved the address to the house into my pocket and hopped into my car. Yes, that's right. I can drive. I passed my drivers test first try. See, I don't want to brag, but I think I was born to drive.

Anyway, I was now halfway there, blasting Backstreet Boys in my Jeep. I probably knew all of the words to most of their songs. I got a text from Jake. "I won't be there till 1:30, sorry."

I sighed, I guess I'll have to hang out with Tom till he gets there. That might be a little awkward.

Finally I pulled up to the house. I was wowed at how big the house was. The Pearson's van was already parked in the large gravel drive way. It looks like they had been here for a while because no one was outside and the van was empty.

Mrs. Pearson and little Hannah came out of the house to greet me. "Hey! It's Emma, right?" Mrs. P said with outstretched arms.

"Yes," I smiled and wrapped my arms around her waist. I knew the Pearson's more than I knew Tom.

"It's so nice to see you! You've grown so much," she parted from the hug and put her hands on my shoulders. She looked me up and down.

"Well, you look great," I smiled.

"Thank you, you are gorgeous," she gave me another tight hug and then let go.

My attention was diverted when Hannah came and screamed my name "EMMA!" she wrapped her little arms around my waist. I was amazed of how much she grew.

"Hannah! You're so big!" I kneeled down to her height. She smiled and laughed. I giggled too.

"Why don't you come inside?" Mrs. P offered. I nodded and let go of Hannah's hug. She grabbed my hand and we walked inside.

Instantly Mr. Pearson saw me. "Emma!" He smiled. He wrapped his arms around me.

"It's nice to see you Mr. P." I smiled, a little forced. These people were so cheery, so I felt the need to be happy too.

"Hey, Emma?" Hannah tugged at my shirt.

"Yeah?"

"Would you sleep in my room?"

"Oh of course!" I smiled.

"Okay, I'll show you our room," she smiled, clutching her sock monkey close to her chest. She grabbed my hand and led me upstairs and down the hall.

The bedroom had one full bed. Pushed to the side of the room. Little toys were set throughout the room. Hannah grabbed my bag and put it on the bed for me. I gave her a smile of appreciation.

"Hey, Hannah, can I have some-woah, oh holy shit," Tom stood in the doorway, his mouth drooped open a bit.

"Hey, Tom."