Chapter Five

————————

————————

I hit the ground on my back, once again knocking the wind out of me. I glanced over to see that Tom had also fallen. The twins got the rope and pulled the attic entrance closed just before the aliens got in. Pain and numbness seered throughout my body. I couldn't move my limbs. Is this what electrocution feels like?

Then the pain stopped short. And I could move again.

I looked around confused and I met Tom's eyes.

"You a zombie?" he asked with suspicion in his voice.

"No. You?" I replied with the same amount of uncertainty.

"No."

"Prove it."

"What do you mean?" Tom asked, clearly confused.

"I mean prove it!" I yelled and rolled on top of him, pinning the boy down.

"You-you were obsessed with My Little Pony till you were 10. A zombie wouldn't know that!" Tom yelled, rushing his words. He was right.

"Here they come!" one of the twins yelled.

Tom's eyes widened as he looked past me. "Look out!" he exclaimed before pulling me into him and rolling out from underneath the hatch. I pulled away quickly and hurried to the rope while Tom met Jake under the attic entrance and pushed up from under it to try to help it close.

The twin with the black shirt came over and helped.

"Tie it off!" Jake yelled.

"I'm trying, push harder!" I replied with frustration.

"Oh, my god! Oh, my god! She scratched me with her claws!" The green shirt twin screamed, backing away from the attic door.

Finally after a long struggle with the aliens, we were finally able to pull it closed and I tied it off.

We all stood looking at each other, out of breath. "We gotta call 911," Tom stated.

----

Everyone rushed to open up their phones. But as I felt for mine in my back pocket, it wasn't there. I must've lost it in the fight.

"I can't get a signal," Jake said, holding his phone up in the air.

"Neither can I," black shirt twin said.

"Mine's dead too," the other one added. I took a defeated seat on the bed.

"Those midget Martians must be jamming us," Jake said, looking at me while hovering over Tom's phone.

"Never a good sign," one of the twins chimed in.

I watched as Hannah picked up the green rotatory phone on the desk. "It's working!" She yelled.