Chapter Two

———————

———————

Tom didn't respond right away.

"Hello?" I waved my hand in the air.

"Uh-uh hi. You-you look great," his cheeks turned a little pink.

"Thanks," I smiled, my cheeks heated up.

"TOMMY!" Hannah screamed excitedly. It was like she hadn't seen him in 3 years. Like I had. I wanted to give him a hug, but maybe right now, was just not the right time.

We were interrupted.

"Tom, Hannah, come help us with the bags!" Mr. P yelled from down stairs. Tom didn't move right away, he just stared at me. It wasn't till I starting moving toward him did he move out of the way.

As I walked by Tom, Hannah grabbed my hand and we quickly stepped down the stairs. I wasn't paying attention if Tom was behind me or not. Just as we exited the house, a black van pulled up in the driveway.

"Nice landing Nate," Mr. P said sarcastically.

"Told you I could fish tail this thing," Nate smiled, impressed with himself.

"Nice try, Nate, but you just missed my kids," Mr. Pearson held up a hand and showed a measurement with his fingers.

I giggled quietly and turned to Hannah who was watching the whole scene play out

"But he did almost give your mother a heart attack," Nana exaggerated, stepping out of the van clutching her chest. "Again."

"Nana!" Hannah exclaimed, rushing to her grandmother.

"Hi, Mom," Mr. P said, giving his mother a quick hug.

"Hi darling," Nana responded, kissing her son on the cheek.

"Nana!" Hannah yelled again, wrapping her small arms around her waist.

"Yes, sweetheart!" Nana cheered, a big smile forming on her face. They both looked so happy. "I got you a little treat."

"You did?" Hannah asked in awe.

"Yes I did. Here we go," Nana plopped a couple of Mentos in her hand.

"Thank you," Hannah smiled even bigger.

My attention was diverted when Jake stepped out of the front seat of the van.

"Jake!" I squealed, jumping into his arms. He swung me around in a circle and then put me down.

"Hey, how long you've been here," he said as he took a look at the house.

"Not long, enough time to put my bags in a room and see Tom," I looked at the gravel drive way. Jake chuckled quietly and gave me a nudge on my arm.

"Here! Come on, Stu! Let's get him!" Nate called to Jake to come tackle Mr. P.

Jake smiled and rushed to his dad's side. They both took ahold of Mr. Pearson and started to give him a nuggie and tickling.

"Nate, stop it! I'll tell Mom," Stu complained, obviously annoyed.

"Tickle him! Tickle your uncle!" Nate cheered on Jake. "Get his shirt off!"

"Mom!" Stu yelled. I couldn't help but laugh. Two grown men acting like teenage boys.

"Stuey's crying for Mommy!" Nate teased, putting Mr. Pearson in a head lock.

——————

Jake, the twins, and I walked up the house to a bedroom. The twins were carrying his bags and Jake walked with an arm over my shoulder. He directed us into the first room we saw.

"Twins, in here," Jake said and pointed to the room. He removed his arm and I sat down on a window seat.

"Hey guys," Tom stood up from the bed. I brushed a hair behind my ear. Our eyes locked for a second before our attention went to Jake.

"Put my bags on the bed," Jake gestured.

"Sir, yes, sir," The twins did as instructed, but I guess Jake didn't like that.

"Trying to be a wise guy?" Jake raised a brow. I rolled my eyes.

"No. No. Definitely not," one of the twins said, "Don't provoke him."

"Good. Now, get these out of here," Jake pointed to Tom's bags. I sighed in annoyance. Why did Jake always have to pretend he was the leader or king of everyone?

"Wait a minute," Tom stepped in front of Jake. But still, the twins proceeded to grab Tom's things. "Why do you get the best room? I was here first." He raised a brow. Jake scoffed.

"I'm here now."

"I'm older," Tom shot back.

"And I'm bigger," Jake took a step forward sized up Tom.

"Did you...grow since Thanksgiving?" Tom was shocked at how tall he was.

"He can tag a stop sign without even having to jump," I added, rolling my eyes at the thought. Tom smirked at my subtle comment and Jake sent me a death glare. I gave him a weak smile.

"How's mathletes?" Jake asked.

"I don't do mathletes anymore," Tom flinched, getting a little embarrassed. I smiled at how uncomfortable he was. It was funny.

"Tired of getting beat up?" Jake teased, trying to provoke Tom. This is what Jake would always do. He would poke at people's insecurities and when people tried to come back at him, Jake would always have a comeback. I was the probably the only one he was actually nice to.

"Honestly, I thought it was pretty cool," I commented quietly, not really expecting anyone to hear. But Tom did.

He perked his head up and a small smile grew on his face. I smiled weakly back and turned away. Our moment was ruined when his dad called.

"Tom! Get down here and help us unload! Now!" Mr. Pearson looked up to the window. Tom sighed with exasperation and rolled his eyes. I chuckled quietly. He walked backwards out of the room as he looked at me with an annoyed look. I laughed at how ridiculous we are.

"Close my door on the way out!" Jake laughed, but of course, Tom ignored him.

I took a seat on the bed and fell back into it. I covered my face with my hands. I laughed at myself. Tom was really cute.

Jake took a seat next to me. "You two really like each other," Jake looked from the door to me.

I didn't say no, but I didn't say yes. I did not not like him. I laughed and grabbed a pillow next to me. I sat up and hit him with the cushion. Jake smiled deviously and pounced onto the bed. My hair fell in front of me as he tackled me. He grabbed another pillow and we went back in forth hitting each other.

He climbed on top of me and started to tickle. "No, Jake! Stop!" I laughed, doing my best to push off.

"Jesus, it sounds like you're murdering her," one of the twins peeked their head into the bedroom. Big mistake.

"I'm going to get you!" Jake hopped off me and grabbed a nearby pillow. The twin raced down the stairs and Jake followed suite.

I laughed the moment off and made my way downstairs. Just then a bright yellow car blasting music pulled up in the drive way.