Chapter Eight

—————

—————

Jake, Tom, and I raced downstairs to the thermostat. Tom has a plan to force the aliens out of the vents by turning up the heat. I thought it was pretty smart actually. Good thing we have him on our team. Once we got down there, Tom proceeded to turn the dial all the way on max. I looked up to the vent to see heat blowing out of it.

"I hope this works, Einstein," Jake smirked, not totally sure about the plan.

We met the twins and Hannah on the stairs to the den where the attic was.

"Sounds like they're mad," the black shirt twin said while we pasted them to look at the vent. I heard distance yelling and banging sounds.

I smirked. "Nice job," I looked to Tom and then back to the vent. "I think it's working."

We had a small moment of triumph before Tom's dad yelled at us from the first floor. "Kids, get down here. Right now."

My smile faded and I locked eyes with Tom. We all looked at each other with an "uh oh" face. Tom turned and Jake and I followed. I heard the pitter patter of feet also behind us.

Once we descended the staircase, I quickly noticed Tom's dad by the thermostat. Jake and I exchanged a quick glance. How were we supposed to cover this one up?

"Who turned up the thermostat?" Mr. P asked, his brows furrowed in confusion.

"I did," Tom said quickly. "Uh, we need that on."

"Are you crazy? It's July," Mr. Pearson scoffed, still confused.

"Yeah, but it's freezing in here," Jake added. We all rubbed our arms and the twins said some comments about how it's cold. I felt dumb

"I think Hannah and Em are coming down with something," Tom said. He glanced at me and I sent him a small glare. Hannah then let out a few coughs by my side. I knew pretending to be sick would just look even more suspicous.

"What's going on here?" Mr. P asked, looking between Tom, Jake, and I.

"We're fighting aliens," Hannah said plainly in her high pitched voice that made everything sound so cheerful. My gut sunk and I whipped my head down to look at her. "I'm pretending it's pretend." I grabbed her hand and squeezed it hard, signaling to her that she just said something wrong. "I mean, it is pretend."

"Okay, but I'm not pretending so don't touch the thermostat," Tom's dad said while leaning forward and turning down the temperature. Tom turned it back to max.

"Tom, I'm not playing with you," he said and turned it back.

"Neither am I." And he turned it back.

"Tom, I'm not kidding. Do you want to spend the week in your room?" Mr. P turned it back.

"Why can't you at least trust that there is a reason why I'm doing this?"