Chapter 3

Evan's pov.

I stood outside my classroom door.

Should I just go in? But what would I say if the teacher asks why I'm late?  I took a shaky breath and prepared for the worst as I hesitantly pushed the door open.

Everyone turned their heads at me. So many eyes. 

"I'm assuming you're Evan Hansen," the English teacher, Mr. Heere, sighed, "Why are you five minutes late?"

"I.. um.. I was..."

"He was having constipation before class!" Jared called from the back of the room.

My cheeks burned with embarrassment. "No! I was-"

"Evan, why don't you take a seat," Mr. Heere suggested.

I nodded meekly and hurried to a desk next to Jared, my only friend. Sorry, I meant family friend. Not actual friend. He only pretended to be friends with me so his parents would pay for his car insurance.

"Hey, Evan," Jared whispered, "What were you actually doing?"

I looked towards the board, pretending to be paying attention while I responded to Jared. "I was, um, talking." I whispered back.

"Wow! Evan was talking to someone besides me?!" Jared exclaims sarcastically. Then he immediately leaned in and asked, "Who was it? Your secret lover or something?" 

"It was.. um, Connor."

Jared stared at my cast. "Connor Murphy?  Like the possible school shooter guy?"

I tilted my head. "Um... I think his last name is Murphy? He's in our grade. And don't say that! That's not very nice to call people that."

Jared slowly nodded. "And...He signed your cast?"

I looked at my cast and smiled. "Yeah, he did."

Jared chuckled. "He claimed you!" His eyes flashed mischievously. "And you probably broke your arm jerking off to him! How does it feel to be the first person to break their arm from jerking off too much? Do you consider it an honor? Picture this: You got Connor Murphy's Instagram opened up and-"

"JARED, I WAS NOT!" I yelled, my cheeks red from embarrassment.

"Dude, sit down!" Jared hissed.

I looked around. Everyone in the class had paused to stare at me. When did I stand up? And how loud did I say that?!  Flushed, I quickly sat back down.

Mr. Heere walked over and put a hand on my desk. "Evan, would you like to tell everyone what you and Jared were talking about?" He asked, coldly.

My heart raced, and I was suddenly aware of how many other people were in this class.

I clenched my sweaty fists, hoping to steady my heart. "N-no sir." 

"Don't do this again," Mr. Heere warned, walking back to the front, "Both of you will meet me after class." 

I sharply inhaled. Oh figs, no.

Jared shot me a nervous smile. He was as scared as I was.

For the rest of class, I tried to pay attention.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Connor's pov

I was actually in class. Surprise, surprise, I know. Zoe turned around and gave me a confused look until I flipped her off.

"Ok, kids, grab a partner!" Mr. Dillinger instructed.