Chapter 25

Zoe's POV
I felt bad that I had blamed Evan. He wasn't exactly the one who put Connor in a coma anyways, probably.

The doctors still won't tell us why or how Connor went into the coma. They said that they had a letter from him which told them not to. Because they respected his decision, we still don't know why.

However, they now allow us to go into Connor's room, since he's in a more stable condition.

It's been a couple of days since Evan first visited. I had already apologized to Evan, and he forgave me.

Sometimes I would peek in Connor's room, and I would find Evan sitting next to him, reading a book to him. The curtains would be drawn back, the sun lighting the whole room with a warm glaze.

I smiled and opened the door a little and took a short video.

Maybe when Connor wakes up, he can watch this.

After about a minute in, Evan stops to face me. "Zoe, um, what're you doing??"

"Taking a video," I reply.

"Well... I know, but what I meant was... Why?"

"So Connor can watch this when he wakes up."

"What if he doesn't? What if he just... never wakes up?" Evan's face falls.

"Don't cry, he'll wake up," I assure.

He wipes his eyes with his sleeve. "Are you...How do you know?"

"Because the doctors said he'll probably wake up soon," I lie.

Evan's eyes shine as bright as the sun. "Really?"

I fake a smile. "Yeah."

Evan practically glows in happiness. He turns to Connor and hugs him. "Connor! I'm so happy for you! Did you hear? You're waking up soon! And once you wake up, we will.. We can have some fun. We can go to parks, um, À la mode, and hangout, and other stuff!"

He gently caresses Connor's cheek and kisses his forehead. "I love you so much, Connor."

He pauses before turning back to me. "Did you record that?!" He gasps.

"Mmmaybe," I smirk.

Evan's face goes red. "Zoe! I-! No!!" He makes a grab for my phone but I step aside, dodging it.

I laugh. "You're never deleting this!" I yell, running out the door.

The next day, Alana rang the doorbell, ready to walk with me to school, as she has been doing for a while now.

"Hey!" She smiles.

"Hi!" I grin, blushing.

She cups my face. "Aww, you're so cute!!"

I blush harder. "Maybe that's why you love me."

She laughs, letting go. "There's so many more reasons why I love you," she says, lacing my hand with hers.

We step out of the door, walking out to the sidewalk.

"Exactly how many?" I tease.

"Enough to write multiple poems about you," she grinned.

I raise my eyebrows. "Wait, really?"

Her cheeks turn red. "I may or may not have stayed up until 3am writing them."

My heart flutters. "That's so sweet! Thank you!!"

"Aw, shut up!" She giggles.

When we approach the school, we take a breath before going through the halls.