Chapter 18: Runaway

Bruno’s POV

 “HAYLEY! STOP!” I shouted at the top of my lungs.

My voice echoed on every corner of the church. But no matter how loud I shout, no one can here me now. Some church people were already clearing away the wedding displays. No other guests can be seen. No priest. No groom. No bride. No Hayley.

I wearily plodded my feet through the aisle and dropped myself on a bench. I put my head down and simply started crying soundlessly as I rubbed the back of my neck. This is the end of my dream. I should be somewhere else right now performing, doing what I love to do, but instead I was here crying over a lost bride.

“You’re too late,” I heard a familiar voice said.

I gazed at the speaker standing at the aisle beside the bench. “Natalie?” I called in bewilderment.

She didn’t say a thing but just sat beside me.

“What are you doing here?” I asked.

She sighed before answering to my question. “I tried Bruno. I tried to stop her,” she whispered with a sincere look on her face. But she started smiling eventually which made me more confused. “Game over, Bruno Mars. You’re 25 minutes too late.”

“What was I thinking? Even if I came early, I’d be kicked out from here too, anyway… ‘cause she wouldn’t listen to me. I’ve acted like an asshole. I said things to her that she doesn’t deserve to hear,” I said in a crack voice. “…She wasn’t wrong about me being a jerk.”

“Bruno, you’re not a jerk,” she said to me smiling again. She’s weird. “If you are a jerk then you probably wouldn’t go here to stop the wedding and steal the bride. Have you heard of a jerk who did everything to for his girl?”

I looked at her with sad eyes and then looked away. “One time I told her, if she ever leaves me or if I ever lose her, I’d go back to the place where we met four years ago and wait for her there even if it takes forever.”

I heard her giggle. “Now tell me. Does that make you a jerk?” No, it doesn’t. She’s right.

“No,” I simply answered.

“It’s not yet too late, Bruno. You were just late for the supposed wedding.”

I looked into her eyes and tried reading her expression. What is she saying?

Hayley’s POV

The music started and I have to walk through the aisle and meet Dale at the altar. Everyone on the bench was staring at me as I took little steps. I can see them from the corners of my eyes. I felt scared and started fidgeting. Many eyes were locked on me as if there was no way for me to escape now.  That was when everything just sank into my brain. I can’t believe it just happened now. I felt my stomach churned. I touched my womb where my baby was and a tear streamed down my face. My walking slowed that everyone in the church started murmuring.  I wasn’t running or anything, but I was sweating and catching my breath.

What was I thinking? I. Can’t. Do. This. I wanted to marry Dale but things changed. I know what I want know. I know who I want to be with and that’s Bruno.

“HAYLEY! STOP!”

I heard his voice ringing in my head. It was as if he was trying to get into my mind to stop me.

“HAYLEY, PLEASE STOP! I DON’T WANT TO LOSE YOU FOREVER!” the voice in my head went.

“I… I can’t do this!” I heard myself said. My hoarse voice echoed and bounced to every corner of the place and left hanging in the air. I realized I just silenced the whole church and my face was burning red in frustration. Hot tears flowing from my eyes just ruining my make up.