Chapter 29

That night I slept soundly, wrapped in an old tunic of Cody's. I dreamt of my childhood, when Ryloth had been my entire galaxy and life had been simple. So simple. Back when I had no knowledge of the battle between the Light and the Dark and the Force had guided my steps from afar. Scenes from when I was little drifted lazily across my closed lids, and for once, no nightmares plagued my sleep.

A gentle hand shook me awake. I blinked sleepily, Cody coming into view.

"Hey, sleepy head. We're here." He lft the room as I rolled out of the bed, Cody's shirt skimming the top of my knees.

I squirmed uncomfortably into the sandy clothes I had discarded in a heap as a slither of fear shot through my heart. I hadn't seen my family in almost nine years. I've changed so much since then that I  barely even recognize myself anymore. Out of habit, I clipped the crimson lightsaber to my belt and then hesitated, hand hovering over the handle. I couldn't bring this with me. I ripped it from my belt and shoved it under the mattress, rearranging the blankets to hide the lump.

I then quietly shut the door to the room and joined Cody in the cockpit. I gazed out in wonder, seeing my home planet for the first time in so many years. Cody dipped the ship into the atmosphere as I gripped the back of the co-pilot seat, knuckles white. Cody glanced at me and offered a smile.

"Don't be nervous Sky. They're still your family. They still love you," he hesitated, a flush crawling up his neck. I looked at him. His mouth hung open as if he had more to say. I looked at him, an eyebrow raised.

"What?" He shook his head and focused his gaze on Ryloth. I frowned and stared at him until a jolt rocked the ship. We were here. Cody stood up and offered me his hand.

"Come on Sky. Let's take you home." I laced my fingers with his and together we walked out into the sunlight. As we set foot onto the planet I hasn't seen in years. nostalgia hit like a tidal wave. Tears welled in my eyes as I laid eyes on home. The house hadn't changed at all since that fateful day when Vader had arrived.

Home was a low, squat building with a cobblestone foundation with wooden walls topped with a thatched roof with two windows shadowed by hand spun curtains. A corner twitched as we stepped towards the door. I swallowed and let go of Cody's hand, palms now slick with sweat. The door creaked open and my mom, Ilea, grinned broadly.

"Cody! Welcome back. What can I do for you?" She glanced past him and her jaw dropped as her eyes locked onto me.

"Skylar? Is it really you?" I took a step forward, unsure of my place. Ilea rushed forward and embraced me tightly, throwing so many lost years into her hug. I burst into tears as she began to stroke my hair like she had when I was a little girl. Longing swept through me as I snuggled deeper into the arms of the only mother I had ever known.

"Oh, my little Sky," she whispered as she stood back, eyes drinking in my appearance. "Look at how beautiful you are!" I smiled and blushed as she tugged me towards the house. "The girls will be overjoyed to see you and your father-" Her voice trailed off, grief twisting the Force around her. I stumbled and her grip tightened on my hand.

"Dad? Is he okay? My voice rose in pitch. Ilea leaned close and tenderly tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"No, sweetheart, he isn't okay. He's very ill and had been for some time." Sorrow tore at my heart as we walked inside. A low snore rose from the door to our left. The door creaked open and my sisters, Lynn Me and Kola, stepped out.

"He just fell asleep, mom. He's really not doing to- Skylar?" Lynn Me stopped dead in her tracks at the sight of me and Kola walked into her. Kola looked up and pressed and hand to her mouth. She then darted forward and crushed me in a hug, my shoulder muffling her squeals of joy. Lynn Me snapped out of her shock and wrapped her arms around the both of us. We laughed as tears rolled down our faces.