Chapter 30

I sat unmoving in the kitchen, hands wrapped around a warm drink that my mom had pressed into my hands, gaze vacant. Lynn Me and Kola sat on either side of me as our mom and Cody arranged a funeral for the next day. We remained silent, lost in our own memories of the happy times and the man who raised us. The floor creaked and I looked up. Cody crouched next to me, concern glowing in his eyes as he rested a hand on my knee.

"Hey," he said softly. "Want to go for a walk?" I shrugged and he helped me to my feet. He led me outside, our boots on the stone and our ragged breaths the only noise in the early evening. 

"I can't believe he's gone," I whispered, brushing a hand across my cheek, something dark and sinister stirring deep within my heart. "He was always so full of life and-" My voice trailed off and Cody took my hand.

"I know. He became like a father to me. I miss him too, Sky. We all do." The shimmer in his eyes unleashed the tears I had been holding back. He wrapped me in his arms and together we mourned the one I was proud to call my father.

***************

The wind whipped the long black dress against my legs as my father was buried early the next morning. Cody, my dad's two brothers and my dad's uncle lowered his casket into the ground. We then each took a handful of dirt and tossed it into the hole, along with one last whisper of love.

"I love you daddy. I always will," I choked, tears flowing down my cheeks. Cody pressed me to his side and I clung to him, sobbing. As the ensemble began to play their mournful melody, I collapsed to my knees, anguish ripping through the Force. This was all Vader's fault. If he hadn't shown up, none of this would've happened. Part of me blamed Obi-Wan as well. If only he hadn't come and awakened the Force within me. 

A gentle hand rested on my shoulder, but I shook it off, rising from my knees. I dragged a hand across my damp cheeks and walked away, desperately needing to be alone. I heard Cody calling my name, his voice warm and concerned, attempting to draw me back to the comfort of his strong arms, but I hunched my shoulders and continued. 

The wind snatched at my hair and dress as I shivered despite the humid jungle. Thick vines wound their way around the rough bark of the towering trees. Tears clogged my vision as I impatiently brushed low hanging vines out of my way. Everywhere I looked, I was swamped with memories of my childhood.

I touched the tree where my dad had first taught me to shoot a blaster, his mark in the dead center of the target, while mine had glanced the left edge of the trunk. I then noticed a chain of his that we had lost years ago when we had been playing a silly make believe game. He had taken it off to ensure he didn't lose it, but in the end, we lost it anyway. I hiccupped as I brushed the tips of my fingers against it, the chain swinging as I continued on. 

I could hear footsteps and someone shouting my name, but I knew these jungles better than Cody ever would, so I kept going. I was numb, both inside and out. The loss of my father shook me to my core and I didn't know who I was without him. His last words to me echoed in my head, tearing at my soul. I stopped dead in my tracks in the middle of a clearing and collapsed to my knees, shivering uncontrollably. Tears fell in time with the beating of my heart as I hunched over. 

"Remember darling, you are destined for great things." His voice echoed loudly inside my head, and visions of all the dark things I had done betrayed the image he painted of my. I screamed and cupped my hands over my ears, begging my dad to stop. I wasn't his little Jedi anymore. I had failed him, and Cody, and my mom and Lynn Me and Kola and Obi-Wan. I had failed them all. I had given into the darkness that everyone believed I could overcome.

"You're destined for great things, darling."

"No I'm not! I've failed you!" I screamed at the words in my head. "The Skylar you loved is gone! She was weak, and a fool. I was no match for the darkness inside me!" With that confession, the storm inside stopped howling, and the silence was deafening. I cried harder, the weight of my failure resting heavily on my broken heart. 

"Skylar?" The heartbreak in Cody's voice numbed me further. "What are you talking about? Tell me it isn't true. It's not true." I met Cody's gaze, my eyes empty. He froze and a whimper escaped his lips. He shook his head as I rose to my feet. "No. No it's not true. My Skylar is stronger than that."

"No she's not," I whispered hollowly. I brushed past him but he grabbed my hand. "Let go," I breathed.

"No. Don't give in. Please, Sky, don't do this," he pleaded, despair rolling off him. I let go and turned away.

"It's too late. I'm too far gone." 

"You're not. Please, come back to me. It's not too late." I laughed dryly.

"It is too late." I turned to face him, eyes shifted to yellow. Cody took a step towards me, a silent plea etched on his face. I shoved him back and took off towards the ship, feet pounding against the swampy ground. I raced for my lightsaber, knowing that it was the only thing to prove where my loyalties truly lie. 

I exited the ship and stood at the bottom of the ramp as Cody darted out of the jungle. He skidded to a halt as he glimpsed the lightsaber in my hand. He held out his hand as my family appeared.

"Skylar?" someone asked. I gazed at them, a dead look in my eyes. I ignited the saber and my features were bathed in a blood red glow. 

"Skylar!" Cody cried. "Please, come back." I deactivated the saber and turned away from the only family I had ever known and boarded the ship. 

Tears of pain, sorrow and regret caressed my cheeks as I left Ryloth behind, leaving behind  everyone I had ever loved.