Lucille's goodbye

Negan was sat in a hospital room next to Lucille who was on her bed. It had been three weeks since they gave birth to their daughter Athena. They had to leave their home because the apocalypse had began. They had found an old abandoned building called The Sanctuary so they had resided there. The cancer had made Lucille even weaker so she is now in hospital. Little Athena was sleeping on her mother's chest. Lucille weakly stroked her daughters head before stuttering to Negan. "N-Negan. P-promise me something." Negan took his wife's hand. "Anything darling." Lucille began to cry. "Look after our baby. We both know I won't be there to watch her grow up. The apocalypse will only get worse and our little girl won't be able to defend herself." She handed over Athena to Negan, who started to cry. "You don't have to ask me that. Our little girl is my world - as are you. I know our little girl is paralysed but I also know this: she's a fighter like her mommy." Lucille kissed Athena on her head and she smiled weakly as Negan kissed her and she went to sleep.

Negan walked over to look out of the window with Athena in his arms as he witnessed the apocalypse outside. Athena then woke up and began to cry. Negan began rocking her in attempt to calm her then he heard it - a rasping breathing sound coming from Lucille's bed. He turned around to see that Lucille had passed away. He felt tears slowly roll down his face. With Athena in his arms he picked up his bat wrapped in barbed wire that was in the room (which he had used on walkers that approached them before going to the hospital). He clenched it but he looked down at his baby girl screaming in his arms and then at his wife. "I can't do it." He sobbed.

Negan left the hospital and quickly put Athena in her car seat in the back of the car, before sitting into the driver's seat. Athena was still crying and Negan turned around and said "it's ok baby, daddy's here". He then looked up at the hospital and saw the zombified Lucille. "I'll take care of our baby, Lucille. I promise you." Negan wiped away his tears and started the car and drove himself and Athena back to The Sanctuary.