Decisions to be made Part 6

Warning: slightly smutty content

I spend the rest of the day shopping, bringing new blankets and tableware to my cabin. I make the small journey back home to check on my mother and share the news of my new cabin with my brothers. I stay and cook them dinner, my oldest brother walking me back to Kattegat with a couple trunks of my clothes and small oddities from my bedroom. I slip him the rest of the silver Ubbe gave me before sending him back home, placing a kiss on his cheek before he leaves.

The moon now hangs bright in the sky, dark clouds creeping over it. The sound of thunder rumbles over the horizon as I sit in my open door frame listening to the streets of Kattegat slowly calm. I listen to the faint laughter coming from the great hall, the walls of which were aglow with firelight. I watch as men and women filter in and out of the hall, stopping to talk to one another. Ubbe's cabin is totally dark except for a single torch by the door. He's probably in the hall celebrating his brother's return, taking inventory of the hunt. I take one more look at the moon before turning back to my cabin, a wave of angst flooding my body as I think of Ubbe and Hvitserk. I leave the front door open as a light drizzle of rain begins falling from the sky, the atmosphere becoming icy cold. I take a deep breath as I roll my shoulders back, trying to shake the thought of the Lothbrok's.

I begin unpacking my trunks and moving my clothes to the much nicer trunks at the foot of my bed. I refold each of my dresses and combat gear, separating them into their own chests. I find a place for all my odds and ends from home, making it feel more my own. Once I'm finally finished, I plop down on the soft bed, letting my feet hang over the edge. I take a deep breath and look around, still in awe that I have a place to call my own right in the heart of Kattegat.

The rain outside begins to pour, lightning cracking against the dark sky. The moon is now completely hidden, the earth becoming eerily dark. I stand from the bed and pull my shawl closer to me, walking towards the open door. I stand in the doorway once more, my arm resting on the frame. I inhale deeply, closing my eyes and resting my head against the door frame, enjoying the harsh weather for a moment. I hum as I exhale, the excitement of the day still radiating off of me as I take in my surroundings. The rain falls even harder, splashing little sprays of water on my bare feet as it hits the ground. I smile to myself before standing straight once more. Just as I'm about to close the door I see Ubbe walking briskly towards his cabin, stopping in the center of the street. I watch as he pulls his hood down, staring at his new cabin. The rain falls over him as he stands there, suddenly turning his head over his shoulder. Our eyes meet, causing him to turn around and stride over to my cabin. He moves quickly up the steps as I stand confused, having no time to react to his sudden change of course.

"Ubbe, what on earth are you doing?" I say in a hushed tone as he stands in front of me, barely leaving any space between us. "It's freezing! You're soaking wet!" I scold him and pull at his sopping cloak while making wide eyes to further exaggerate my point.