Decisions to be made Part 7

Over a month has passed since Ubbe gave me his old cabin in the heart of Kattegat

Over a month has passed since Ubbe gave me his old cabin in the heart of Kattegat. The end of harvest turned into winter, the snowy months were upon us. Small flurries fell from the sky and scattered across the earth night and day. Hvitserk and I have been insatiable, sneaking away to enjoy each others bodies any chance we get. Not a single night had passed that we weren't together, sleeping in whichever of our cabins we had happened to land in that night. Hvitserk's other brothers had already caught on to the extent of our romance, each catching us on separate occasions. Everyone had their ideas about us, but we had been careful not to draw too much attention to ourselves, enjoying the thrill of what little secrecy we had left. Or at least we though we were being careful, but lust clouded our judgement.

Ivar took us by surprise one night a few weeks ago when we thought the great hall had cleared. I was serving the hall that night, finishing up my duties before leaving to find Hvitserk. I was putting the last of the cleaning buckets away when Hvitserk snuck in behind me, attacking my neck with his mouth. It was only after a minute of us heavily kissing when we heard someone clear their throat. Ivar had pulled himself into sight near Aslaug's throne, a sinister smile was plastered across his face. After a round of sarcastic and slightly playful questioning, he assured us he didn't care to tell anyone or a make a big deal about it. In his words, he has more to concern himself with than the conquests of his brother.

Sigurd caught us only a few days after Hvitserk came back from the hunting trip, stumbling in to Hvitserk's cabin unannounced one afternoon. He opened the door to find me naked and sprawled out across the dining table, Hvitserk's head buried between my thighs. He immediately turned around and left, chuckling to himself. Later he told Hvitserk he had a feeling this would happen, and that he didn't care to make a fuss about it.  Only warning to be more careful, as he was sure their other brothers would spark an interest in me if they found out.

Bjorn saw Hvitserk kiss me while I was working, pulling me to him quickly before going about his business. It was only after Hvitserk had walked away that I realized Bjorn was standing at the end of the hall, a smirk on his face. He threw his hands up in the air declaring his innocence as I walked to him, standing wide eyed before him. "Relax" he said with a laugh, "Why should I care? My only concern is that I think you could do a little better." He placed his hand on my shoulder before winking at me and walking away.

Ubbe had even caught us while we were having sex, like his brother Sigurd, he walked into Hvitserk's cabin unannounced. He had managed to walk a few steps in before looking up, meeting my eyes as I straddled Hvitserk, both of us totally naked on the floor. Ubbe stood still for a moment before leaving, his eyes dropping to my chest before turning around and walking back out the door. My stomach churned at the thought of him catching us, an unfamiliar guilt washing over me. Of course Hvitserk quickly pushed that thought out of my mind for the time being, yet it still weighs on me.

Ubbe hadn't spoken much to me since he kissed me, avoiding me at every turn. The most I got from him was small looks here and there, one of us occasionally catching the other staring when we were in the same room together. He would still politely thank me when I served him in the great hall, but no other words were spoken. Yet still, a piece of my heart ached for some reason. I couldn't settle with the thought of Ubbe being hurt by me in any way. We were never as close as Hvitserk and I were, but we have known each other practically all our lives. He's been someone I've cared about since we were children.