4. Sleepless

Quickly, it came, and I found myself hauling out of bed with news that it was Christmas Day. Brushing my teeth and hurling myself down the stairs in my pyjamas, I made my way over to the tree.

"Morning," I said to the group, spotting my pile of presents. Quickly opening them all, I got a set of cool 'dog walking socks' from King, a mini foot massager thing from Mum, some wireless speakers from Tyson, a photobox from Ryan and an instant air hockey table from Abbey.

Thanking all of them, I noticed a shiny red parcel with my name on it. Tearing open my last package, I found a note that said: dear Mylo- love Bri xxx. I looked up and smiled at her anticipating face before continuing.

Inside was a leather and silver metal wristband, which considered of single bands of leather and silver in a simple but elegant knot. In the metal band, I realised that there were engravings. Squinting at it, I read in whisper, "walk on with hope in your heart, and you'll never walk alone."

Honestly, I was too taken aback to form sentences. It was beautiful. It was perfect. Just like her.

"Thank you... I don't know what to say... it's perfect," I mumbled, slipping it on my wrist before giving Briar a hug.

"I'm glad you like it," she smiled. God, that smile... it was going to be the death of me.

When Bri opened her present from me, her reaction to the chocolate bar was amusing for us all.

"A chocolate bar?" She asked, narrowing her eyebrows.

"To eat until your birthday," I hinted, increasing the hype for her birthday present.

"Oh God," she laughed, biting into her milk chocolate Aero.

After opening all the presents, we watched some Christmas movies, ate Mum's delicious Christmas lunch, and loitered around the house with nothing really to do for the rest of the afternoon.

King was taking a nap with Mum- boy, did he need one- Tyson was working on some music project, Abbey was studying, Ryan was at a friend's house and me and Briar were scrolling through channels on TV.

"You're coming Boxing Day shopping with me tomorrow," she commanded, lifting her head, that was rested comfortably on my lap, up to look at me.

"Ugh... Sure," I agreed, not being able to say no to that face.

"Good, I need a boy's opinion," she smiled, nestling back into the warmth of the Christmas jumper she had made me wear.

And so the next day I found myself waking up in darkness to Briar's voice.

"Huh?" I questioned, confused.

"Boxing Day shopping, remember?!" She said, way too excited given the time it was.

"It's 3 in the morning!" I exclaimed, attempting to pull the sheets over myself again.

"Exactly, the perfect time. It won't be too crowded yet," she said, grabbing my arm and trying to haul me out of bed. I groaned in frustration before giving in and getting ready.

"Quickly! Everything will be gone soon!" Briar yelled through the bathroom door.

"I really don't care," I called back, enjoying the steamy hot water soaking my body. Eventually I got dressed and we were ready to go.

Driving Briar to the nearest shopping mall was like driving a kid to their favourite theme park- a nuisance... albeit adorable. Her energy was making me amped too- about shopping.

The second we got to the mall, I was surprised to see it was extremely crowded. Wow, people, sleep is more important. Immediately, Briar dragged me into Forever 21 and started piling different items of clothing into my arms. I held them without argument, I just wanted to get this over with already.