15. Views

The week was a blur. I taught at conventions, shot a few photosoots, got my hair cut and met up with an old school friend, trying to busy myself before the day of the concert.

Finally it came round, after much anticipation. Finishing my convention that I had that morning, I drove home to find Briar at my door 10 minutes later.

She was dressed in a black tank top, a green transparent blouse tucked into some black ripped jeans and her usual Adidas sneakers. Her hair was out loose at the time, but I knew she would pull it up later because of how hot it was going to get. As of now, it was pretty cold, so I quickly let her in and allowed her to get cozy.

"Excited?" She grinned, watching me pace around the room trying to find my portable charger.

"Yep," I nodded, finally discovering it on my TV stand. I stuffed it into my bag along with a charging cable, a water bottle and a sweater.

I then chucked it to the side and headed over to my bedroom to get ready, Briar following me.

In the end I picked out a black t-shirt that had a thick white stripe down the side, and layered it with a red jacket some ripped black jeans and white high-top sneakers.

"Let's go, we still need to grab food," I told Briar, who was waiting outside the room.

"Yeah," she nodded, picking up her strap bag that she threw around her shoulders.

I grabbed my bag and shoved my phone and wallet into the pocket of my jeans, locking my flat and getting out.

"I think we should just eat and then go," she suggested, pulling her coat over her outfit.

"Sure, rather than eat food there," I nodded, opening the glass doors for her that took us to large lobby with all the stone tables, grey couches and the charging stations and bars.

I climbed into the driver's seat of Briar's car, which still had it's fresh new car scent. She was too terrified to drive into the busy traffic at the heart of Toronto city, so I offered to drive us instead.

Briar decided to play some Drake to get us in the mood, and soon One Dance was blasting through the speakers and I found myself nodding to the beat. We pulled over at a supermarket and bought some lunch. I got a pasta salad and a hot chocolate from the café and Briar bought a southern fried chicken wrap with a bottle of mint lemonade.

We ate it inside the car, much to my discomfort. I scarfed down my pasta salad in minutes, before collecting the rubbish and chucking it in the bin.

"This is the first time he's performing his new album live," Briar informed me as we sat, sipping our drinks. (I know the album Views only came out in April, oh well)

"Wow. How did you manage to get tickets for this thing?" I shook my head, placing my drink into the cup holder. Briar had somehow got us tickets for in the pit, which were the ones that were really expensive and sold out really quickly. We had 20 minutes to get to the Air Canada Centre, so I started the car and drove us to Downtown Toronto pretty quickly.

We found ourselves running towards the building trying to get places near the front, and after clearing security we pushed our way forwards so we had a pretty clear view of the stage. Finally, the time came and the show started.

"I'm actually so excited," Briar gushed, gripping my shoulder frantically.

"Really? You couldn't tell!" I joked, ruffling her hair lightly. The arena was packed, and there was no concept of personal space, all the sweaty bodies squished up together. Briar and I screamed while we jumped and danced along to the music, I found myself gripping Briar's hand as I did so. All his best songs from the album were performed: Controlla, Faithful, One Dance. It was incredible.