19. Guilty

Myles' POV

I had dragged Briar to have brunch out the next morning, both of us walking pretty much in silence. It had never really been this bad between us before... we couldn't even hold a conversation without drawing back to the dreaded topic.

I was guilty.

Briar didn't want to take the biggest opportunity of her life, to follow her dreams and continue acting, because I was in love with her. It was all my fault, and I knew I was being selfish. I should have ended it and not been so focused on myself. Now Briar would deal with the consequences.

Pushing open the heavy glass doors of the diner, I held it open for Briar to enter as well before the pair of us found a corner booth near the back of the space.

"What do you want to eat?" I offered Briar the menu.

"Oh, I don't mind," she quickly mumbled, tucking her hair behind her ear and nervously staring at the floor.

"The usual?" I confirmed, seeing her nod before turning to the waiter. "2 stacks of pancakes, please," I mustered a polite smile, setting the menu card down on the table. "Oh, and strawberries on one of them," I added, knowing Briar would want them. The waiter left to the kitchens, a deep sigh left my mouth. Now I had to deal with this.

"Bri," extending my hands out, I clasped hers, resting them on the table. She looked up, finally meeting my eyes. "What's up?" I asked gently.

"I don't know what to do," she whispered.

"Forget about what anyone else says. Do you want to take the role?"

"I don't know," she shrugged, "I mean... kinda. I guess it would be pretty cool to be in an actual movie."

"And?" I pressed, wanting to know what was stopping her.

"It's a pretty great opportunity. It could be my chance to ret recognised. I could learn a lot, I've always wanted to act," her dreamy expression made me smile.

"And what are the cons?" I raised my eyebrows.

"I'd be gone for 5 months."

"It'd be the biggest 5 months of your life, what would you be doing over here?"

"I'd be alone in another country, miles away from home. Who would I talk to for help? What if I got lost?" she panicked.

"You'll be hanging out with the cast, most of the time. If your not on set, you can ask them. Plus I'm sure you'll make new friends." I argued back.

"I'll miss you," she mumbled. It made my heart sink, but I continued. "How would we talk? With the time difference and everything..."

"We can schedule calls. Every week. Heck, everyday if you want," I reasoned. I didn't know if I believed in what I was saying myself, but I had to encourage her. I couldn't let her regret this. "I don't want you to make the biggest mistake of your life, Bri. You clearly want the role. Take it."

Just as I finished, our food arrived. I hurriedly let go of Briar's hand, avoiding the waiter's smirking looks as she watched, before laying the pancakes on the table and walking away.