Chapter 9 Shock

You were quite taken aback by Jae Eun's words. The strength in your legs gave out. Your lips started to quiver uncontrollably. Your brain started spinning, just hearing 2 sentences.

"Woah Unni, don't go and faint on me just yet."
"You came for a reason right?"
Jae Eun waves her hand in your face.
"Unni??? Y/N Unni!!! Get yourself together!!!"
Jae Eun sighs.
"I haven't even told the whole story yet and you almost went out cold!"

Jae Eun puts her hand on your knee casually.

"Who said you can touch me?" You ask with a plain look of disgust on your face.
"Hey, come on, I'm doing a favour and clearing out all this confusing crap."
"Bear with me." Jae Eun rolls her eyes.

"So, you see, these are all oppa's words. So don't blame me if you get offended."
"Moving on, apparently you and oppa were good friends?"
Jae Eun asks.

You state, "Well yes, I was introduced to Tae by Hobi and Yoongi oppa."

Jae Eun continues to speak. "When he first met you, he thought you were charming, and cute. Yet not attracted in a romantic sense."
"Oppa loved being friends with you......."
"He always told me how he treasured your friendship."

"By the way, I'm one of Taehyung's best friends, all the way from Daegu."

Y/N gasps. "You are that friend?!"

{Flashback}
"Hey Jagi, who is that? The girl in the group photo on your lockscreen?"
"Ah, that's my childhood friend since elementary. 2 years younger. I text her often to see how she's doing in Daegu.
Taehyung smirks, "Jealous much?"

Your face becomes flushed red as you hear Taehyung's remark. "Ah no, Tae, I was just; curious!"

Taehyung chuckles lightly. "You are so cute noona."
"Ah, but she did have a crush on me. I was the cool oppa type"

"You wish" Y/N scoffs.

"What is that supposed to mean noona???" Taehyung pretends to act dramatic as he falls to the ground with his hands on his chest.

"Don't worry, I still love you jagiya" You smile at him affectionately as you offer your hand o help him up. Taehyung grasps unto your hand, as he responds back.

"Ah..." Tae hesitates for a second. "I love you too"

{End of flashback}

"I can't believe it" You are still in shock by the sudden realization of who Jae Eun really is, and how she is related to Taehyung.
"Are you done looking like a deer caught in the headlights?" Jae Eun laughs slightly.
"You see, I knew about how well you two were doing as friends, as you always made Taehyung feel happy whenever he was down. He always told me you know, how happy you were everyday."
"How you brightened up his day like no other. But simply.....as a friend."
"He adored you as more of a best friend, almost sister type of figure."

"Yet on the other hand, you fell in love. You fell in love while Tae simply wanted to be your friend. The truth is.."
Jae Eun hesitated.

"Just spit it out Jae Eun" You were eager to hear the truth and couldn't take another second of her stalling.

"Fine! The truth is, that oppa only accepted your confession because he didn't want to hurt you. He pitied you, knowing that you would cry and never talk to him again if he rejected you."

A single emotion could only be felt at the moment. Shock. Pure and utter shock. Your heart started beating at an alarming pace, as if your whole body was frozen, and all you could hear was the sound of your heartbeat.

(Authors note: Ik I forgot to specify this, but Hobi and Yoongi were hiding in the bushes the whole time, because friendship goals. I mean, you know you have good friends if they hide behind a bush just to make sure that you are ok👌🏻👌🏻)

Hoseok almost gasps out loud in shock, as Yoongi covers his mouth so that Jae Eun wouldn't hear his loud dongsaeng and his dramatic gasp.

Hoseok calms down, as they both look at each other with anxiousness in their eyes. They had no idea that Taehyung didn't even love her romantically. As much as it has an affect on Yoongi and Hoseok, they both knew it would have a way bigger affect on you.

Jae Eun actually felt bad about saying this, as she looked at Y/N with nothing but pity in her eyes.

"I promise, Unni.....that I didn't want to steal him from you. Although I love him, I couldn't do that to such a sunny person that oppa described you as. Even I couldn't do that."

Jae Eun took a deep breath, as she continued explained that events that made up the current situation.

"You see, I came to Seoul all the way from Daegu because I was accepted into a famous school of Arts. One day, I bumped into Tae oppa once again. Just a simple morning, to get coffee."

"We were quite taken aback from the fact that we finally saw each other again after many years." Jae Eun chuckles to herself.

"We would often meet up at times such as after school, just so we could talk about the old times. Oh how nostalgic that was. Although, one day he cried quietly to himself as he escorted me back to my dorm. Between his quiet sobs, all I could hear was, "How do I tell her? I messed up Jae"

He simply said this, "I wonder what it would have been like, if I was in love with you instead. I can't believe I accepted her confession just because I pitied her"

"Although I couldn't believe what he said, I had to admit that some part of my heart wanted to take it. Yet I was hesitant. Like I said I wouldn't do that to you."

"Yet Taehyung oppa, actually wanted to start a relationship. Without you knowing. He said this phrase every time I tried to tell him that it was wrong;
"I don't actually love her. I just can't break her heart, because of how clingy she always is."

Y/n's shaking stopped. All you could hear, was a constant ringing in your ear. A phrase that repeated over and over in your head. "He never loved you. It was all out of pity."

You never felt so sick in your life. A churning feeling in your stomach felt even more awful. All you could do was frantically get your things together, as you turned away from Jae Eun, ready to leave.

"Y/-" You heard a soft and quiet call from Yoongi, as it was cut off by Hoseok. They were about to jump out of the bushes just to hug you, but you raised your hand, signaling for them to stop.

As you were about to regroup with your two worried best friends, you turned around with another fake smile as you said "Thanks Jae Eun. I finally know the truth now"

"Unni, if you want a I can brea-"

"I'm fine" Y/N said, with your eyes staring at the ground.

Yoongi, and Hoseok both knew that even if you said I'm fine 100 times, the true meaning would be:
"Save me"