12. Azalea

I sit in the laundromat for about an hour. I pull out my very outdated phone from my backpack. It's one of the old, small smartphones, from before they all turned into screens the size of books, which are another outdated thing I have. I also have a laptop, at home. It was practically useless, but I installed software from an unknown maker called No5868. The software was able to convince other softwares that my computer was the latest model of SmartScreen. I sent No5868 a recommendation through the website to do something like that for very old android smartphones but they never responded.

I go into my documents. My application is sitting there, untouched. I haven't edited it since the day it was due. I should have just submitted it right when I finished. But no, since we hadn't paid our rent, they took our wifi and phone connection away. So I couldn't submit it.

"Submit it now." I look over my shoulder for the voice. There is a person standing right behind me. I can't tell their gender by their appearance or voice.

"Just do it. There is still time."

"Go away." My voice is sharp, because I have just recognized this person as one of the people who followed me. "Stop looking at my phone, and go away right now. Or I am calling the police." I know it's an empty threat because what am I going to tell the police? "Hey, somebody chased me into the laundromat and now they are looking at my phone and won't go away!" No way.

This person clearly doesn't know it's an empty threat, because they back off and say, "Hey, just tryna help."

They start to walk away, but suddenly somebody else snatches my phone out of my hand and starts touching stuff it.

I kick the person with my phone and try to snatch it back. They hold it out of my reach.

Then the person gives it back and says, "You're welcome." Then the two of them leave.

I look at my phone. It says: Submitting Document. 13 seconds remaining...

I try to grasp what just happened. These people followed me just so they could submit my application to the satellite program? I don't even know who these people are and why they would follow me just to submit my application. I thought for sure they were going to rob me blind and maybe murder me to sell my organs on the black market or something.

I text my mom to come pick me up at the laundromat. She comes fifteen minutes later with the car full of groceries. Our car is also old, a Nissan from 2015 or so. It eats up gas but it is still cheaper than buying a whole new car.

"What happened hon-bun?" she asks.

"I was chased. I went into the laundromat, like you said to."

"Well, good for you. You okay?"

"Yeah." I don't tell her about the submitting of the application.

I help her bring the groceries inside and up in the rickety elevator. We are on the eighth floor, so when the elevator gets stuck, it sucks for us. And the penthouse people, I suppose, but they are the landlords and I can't feel bad for them.

It's a normal evening, my mom cooks, I do homework and chores. My brothers come home from their sports and my dad doesn't show up. He works his full eight hours and then goes to school for three hours. We never see him anymore.

When I bring my laundry into the basement, I see my neighbor there. She is just a bit older than me, and she is gorgeous. She is from Cuba and she doesn't speak English. She pulls me into a hug like she always does and kisses me on the cheek. I stumble back in surprise. I can't handle affection like that from someone so pretty.

She laughs and says something incomprehensible in Spanish. I don't understand why she always feels the need to hug me.

I pick my laundry up and shove it into the washing machine. Our landlords have money, but are not rich enough to get combo-laundry machines for their tenants. They probably have one in their penthouse anyway.

I pick up the empty basket and start going upstairs. My neighbor giggles as I leave.

I sleep restlessly that night. I can't stop thinking about the people who followed me into the laundromat and submitted my application.

In the morning, my alarm wakes me up and I groan. School is the last place I want to be today. I don't bother changing my pants but I put on a hoodie over my shirt. I walk out into the kitchen to make my lunch.

My whole family is in there, staring at me.

I stop. "What?"

"Take a look," my brother Charles says, handing me his newish Smartscreen. I take at and marvel, as always, at how thin it is. It is hardly thicker than a piece of paper and completely unbendable. I look at the screen. There is a news piece.

"Watch it!" exclaims Charles. He and my other brother look at each other giddily.

I tap on the video and some lady comes on and talks about the new people they admitted into the satellite program. There are two, some guy from Montana named George Khan and me. They admitted me! Just hours after those people submitted my application!

My family squeals their congratulations and Charles gives me a hug.

I look at my parents and mutter, "I submitted it yesterday."

"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US?!" shrieks my mom.

"Because it was late. I was pretty certain I wouldn't get it."

"Hm. Maybe punctuality isn't their thing," says my dad. He stands up. "Well, I gotta catch my train," he announces as he puts on his coat. He takes the 'L' to work and to his school. We only have one car and my mom needs it.

"Pack your lunches everyone," shouts my mom and the normal morning hustle happens.

At school, everyone suddenly wants to talk to me. It is awkward and I don't quite know how to handle it. The five friends I have are all slightly jealous, but happy for me. It is the most social I have been since first grade or something.

When I walk home from school, I pull my hat lower and my coat higher so nobody recognizes me. My face is on most of the news screens scattered on walls throughout the city, so it wouldn't be hard for people to figure out its me.

I am the first one home from school, as always. I pull some rice out of the fridge and snack on it while I do my homework. I am one of the weirdos who actually enjoys the work. I like the challenge, especially in math. I finish the homework before the rice, so I sit there and daydream about what it will be like on the satellites. I can't picture it. But it would be nice to get out of the city. Some people love it, but they aren't the ones living in the crowded apartments with the train rushing by you every twenty minutes. They aren't the ones who have to worry about air quality and getting mugged every time they walk alone outside. I have been sick of it for a while.