22. Karma

Everyone looks at each other in silence once Strom has run out of the cafeteria. Nobody has any appetite anymore. Azalea stands up and Karma follows suit. They walk out into the lobby. Strom is sitting against the wall with his head in his hands.

A horrible smell hits Karma and she realizes that Strom threw up. She can't believe what just happened. She is equally amazed that Strom listened to Kesselhof. If she were in his place she would've stood up and thrown the cake in the trash.

"Ewww you can see the little pieces of napkin!" squeals Azalea. Karma brings a hand to her nose and tries not to throw up herself.

Azalea is helping Strom up when Khan, Harold, and Kesselhof walk in. Fifi is waiting just inside the cafeteria.

"Let's go, we have a test to take," barks Kesselhof. She types something on her SmartScreen and pushes the elevator button.

The elevator arrives and everyone files in. Karma holds the door open for Fifi, remembering what Kesselhof said about leaving people behind. The elevator ride is awkward and seems way too long. Azalea messes with her glasses, taking them on and off and wiping them on her shirt. Kesselhof stands by the door, scowling. Khan can't stop moving. The elevator leaves to the room we arrived on the satellite in.

There are two podships.

"Your task is to destroy the twelve explosives that have been suspended in space," explains Kesselhof. "Hypothetically, they are programmed to be sent directly to the core of our satellite. Of course this is not the case with these explosives, but there will be consequences if you fail the test. Now figure it out, and you have limited time. 92 minutes to be exact."

Everyone looks at each other awkwardly. Karma feels like nobody will do anything, so she speaks up.

"Khan, Strom, and Fifi will take that one. Azalea, Harold, and I will take the other one. We might not get signal in space, so-"

"We do actually, from our phones. Who has theirs?" interrupts Strom.

Karma pulls out her phone. Fifi, Khan, and Strom have theirs too.

"Ok, let's go!" Karma yells, and everyone takes off for their ships.

Azalea realizes the problem first as they climb into the ship. Actually, both problems.

"Where's the third seat?" she asks. We all look around the cramped pod. Harold climbs into the passenger seat. "Whatever, we'll figure that out. Who knows how to drive one of these things?"

"Not me," Harold murmurs. "Get in, let's go!"

Karma sighs. "I guess it can't be that different from a car." She climbs in the driver's seat.

"Where am I supposed to sit?!" shouts Azalea.

"On the floor for now!" replies Harold. "We'll figure it out once we're in the air and on autopilot."

Azalea climbs in and stands right behind the seats and in front of the storage.

"Alright, let's do this!" yells Karma. She and Harold put the big seat belts on. They are like those rollercoaster seat belts that lock you into the car. That's how Karma feels. She feels bad and a little worried for Azalea.

Karma flicks the ignition switch and inches it towards the door. It opens as she comes closer and Karma steps on the pedal which she assumes is like the gas. The pod shoots out of the door and goes flying into space, the stars just barely streaks out the window.

Azalea is thrown back into the storage closets. She yells and Karma hits the big red stop button. The pod slows down and stops at a float.

"YOU IDIOT!" yells Harold. "THAT'S THE STOP BUTTON!"