Prologue

In this world, there are more than just humans. I call it the Supernatural Side, because it's what humans consider to be supernatural phenomenon. Things in urban legend, myth, and lore. But it is much more than that.

Those apart of the Supernatural Side call themselves Residents. I could list quite a few, but even that much wouldn't even compare to how many different Residents there are in the world. I myself am ignorant of this side to reality. But just for your sake, I'll spare you some time to explain the major species of this world.

There are vampires. They aren't your typical Twilight vamps, though. They appear to be normal, until they either lose their temper or get a dying thirst for blood, which their fangs grow out and their eyes grow unnaturally red. They usually live together in small groups called Covenants. Though they always seem slightly more pale than what is normal for humans, they are basically indistinguishable. They feed off of animal blood and maybe drink from blood banks. Some vampires still attack humans, but it's considered taboo among their species.

Werewolves are here, too. They live in packs and live by a hierarchy of alpha to omega. In different packs, they treat their omegas differently. They usually appear human and are technically two souls linked in a body. Along with the human soul, each werewolf has a inner wolf that can communicate and speak to their adjacent part. They apparently have names as well, but what do I know? They can shift into wolves larger than a average wolf, therefore sometimes causing confusion in the human populations. Werewolves also have something called a mate, but I don't know much about that.

Shifters, as they are commonly known, are similar to werewolves. The only difference is that shifters can turn into other animals other than wolves. For example there are shifters in the big cat family, like leopards and cheetahs and lions. There are bear shifters, fox shifters, bird shifters, and so many more. Just like werewolves, they are two souls in one body. Whether or not they have a mate is something I don't know.

Demons exist, unfortunately. They come from the World Below, and I've had the displeasure of meeting some in my life. They seem to live by ranking as well, the weaker and less intelligent ones being the lowest and most abundant. The higher ranked ones can do some low level dark magic, nothing powerful. But there are some with powerful magic and intelligence to go along with it.

Warlocks are human-demon hybrids. The stereotype of them is usually cold-hearted, and from the handful of warlocks that I've met it seems to be true. They all seem to be driven by their strong desire to gain power. They specialize in death magic, every once in a while raising a few undead. The usual telltale sign that someone is a warlock is their yellow, vertically slitted eyes.

Wizards are similar but different. Instead of dabbling in death magic, they specialize in magic that manipulates man made materials and sometimes even do dark magic. They rarely are born with magical talent and also not the most pleasant in a conversation.

Specters and ghosts are spirits that have either been trapped here in the mortal realm or have unfinished business from their past life. Usually they can't get over the fact that they're dead or a warlock raised them from the dead unwillingly. A specter, however, is a ghost that had lost its sanity and humanity. They can be very dangerous.

Finally, there were witches. Key word, were. They're supposedly extinct, wiped out from other Supernaturals targeting them for their immense magical power. They were the Supernaturals that had the most magical power and potential. Even though warlocks and wizards perform magic, they can only do limited amounts of dark and death magic at a time. Witches, on the other hand, can perform as many spells as they desire, so long as it doesn't exceed their magical power. If they exceed their magical capacity, it can result in terrible illnesses and even death. They flock into witch societies, or covens, where they can perform large rituals and spells. The only thing was, was that witches were female, never male. Sure, there might have been a few male witches, but they were very rare.

All the Supernaturals thought that witches were extinct, wiped out during the The Great Magical War. This war was solely started as a way to target witches. Ever since the war ended about 150 years ago, nobody has seen a witch since.

Until now, that is.

I am a witch. I am not supposed to be alive. Those that have discovered me have either tried to capture me or outright kill me. But that is not the only thing. I am also a boy, so I am considered a 'rarity' on the supernatural black market.

This story that you read now is my documented history of my definite sad life. Of how I've had to leave so many homes, so many people important to my life. But this one book you are reading is about a certain chapter of my life that was a huge turning point, so big it practically changed the Supernatural World.

And it's all because I met that stupid werewolf.