5: Welcome Home

I lied to Dr. Tremain when I said I would go to sleep after one more chapter. Instead, I had remained awake for the good part of the night to finish a very interesting mystery book. It was about a group of strangers stuck together in the middle of a snowstorm who have to figure out who killed one of them. I gave in to sleep around two in the morning, the book falling into my lap.

It's been two days since I've woken up. I've learned that I've been in a partial coma for three days after the accident. A hard realization hit me when I realized that I had no idea where Morrigan was, until I heard her voice explaining she had turned into her original form. Familiars, I had learned over the years, are simply spirits taken in by and bonded to a witch. They can take on physical form, visible to all beings, with the help of their bonded witch partner or decide to take on their original spiritual energy form. The hospital fee was something I was very concerned with, especially since I'm quite tight on money after buying the house. Dr. Tremain assured me that the sheriff had insisted on paying the medical bill, much to my surprise.

A shaking hand had greeted me this morning, waking me out of my tired state. Dr. Tremain sighs as he takes the book off my lap and bookmarks the page. "Honestly, North," he mumbles. "You need to stop the late night reading. It's bad for your health." I sit up and yawn, stretching my back and arms.

"Anyway," he says, suddenly cheerful. I look over at him, surprised by his sudden change. His face broke out into a wide grin. "Today you're being discharged from the hospital!" A grin of my own spreads out on my lips as I punch the air with my fist. "Yes! Finally I get these needles taken out!"

It took ten minutes to get me ready for my departure, but it was fine by me. Dr. Tremain had continuously teased me while removing the IV drip and other needles about how my face turned pale at the sight of the needles. A nurse set out a set of my clothing and left me to change. I was grateful that my luggage and belongings came out unscathed because there would be nothing left for me if I lost them.

I swing my feet over the edge of the bed and hop off. I grab the set of clothes and walk into the adjacent bathroom, set with a small shower. I quickly wash off, thankful for the clean feeling and get out to get dressed.

The runestone pendant was cold against my chest as I pull on the faded blue shirt. The doctors were nice enough to leave it on, so as far as I know I haven't been exposed. I walk out of the bathroom and see Dr. Tremain waiting outside the door.

He smiles at me. "Ready to go, kiddo? We have a hospital cab set up outside the entrance. Your bags are already loaded inside." He informs me as he starts to replace the white gauze patch on my cheek, where I got a deep cut from a shard of glass. I hum in agreement as he finishes up.

We walk through the pristine white halls of the hospital, making small talk about what I would do while I live in Wintervale. "You know," Dr. Tremain begins. "You will be attending the local high school, right? Many of the locals go there, including the Sheriff's son."

I study him out of the corner of my eye. "Yes, and...?" I ask slowly. I wonder what he meant to bring up the Sheriff's son. "I mean that you should try and make at least one friend here during your stay," he says, saying it as if it were obvious. "I know how your mother's job keeps you moving around, never staying in one place."

A pang of guilt builds in my chest, making my chest feel hot. I've lied plenty of times to adults before, but to lie to one of the only people that I thought I could trust felt wrong. I force on a smile. "Yeah, thanks."

We walk out into the cold morning air. The sky was bright blue with white fluffy clouds scattered about. A white car with the hospital's logo sat stalling on the curb. "The car will drive you to your new house," said Dr. Tremain, offering a smile. "Good luck."

I smile back and nod before loading myself into the back seat. The car pulls away and drives off, all the while Dr. Tremain waves to the car. I lean back into the seat and stare out the window, looking at the unfamiliar buildings go by.

"That was smart of you, buying the house online," Morrigan starts. "Now they won't even suspect that you're alone." I quietly snort into my hand. "If anything happens, we always have a plan B." She huffs from the other end of our link, clearly dissatisfied with my response. I swiftly change the subject, telling her, "I'll need a part time job."

We continue to mentally talk back and forth between each other for the duration of the drive. As we neared the edge of the town, I realize the town was much larger than I anticipated. Getting to school tomorrow might be a pain. The white cab stops, breaking me out of my reverie. "This is your stop," the driver said curtly. I nod and pick my bags out of the back.

Just as I close the door the cab speeds off back in the direction of the town. I stare dumbly after the cab, my mouth open to thank the driver. I shake my head and turn around to my new home. Even though I've seen it through pictures, they can't amount to the ancient beauty of the building.

A living room, study room, kitchen, dining area, a butler's pantry, a master bedroom, several other bedrooms, and three bathrooms. I call it a house, though it is more properly a small mansion. It stood two stories high and came fully furnished, the original owners leaving under mysterious conditions. It was rather well cared for, the paint not peeling and the floorboards healthy. Though rather old, maybe about twenty to thirty years old, it was up to date with electricity and air conditioning and modern plumbing. It had a porch with a swing bench facing the front, and I couldn't help but think that it was a great way to spend the evenings. I couldn't wait to go inside and see what was only pictures before.

Eagerly, I walk up the porch steps and hold up the padlock on the door. It was the realtor's padlock, a box that held the house keys inside so they wouldn't need to visit the new owners to deliver the keys. I punch in the code and with a beep, unlocked with a clank and fell heavily into my hand. My hands fumble with the latch and after a moment a silver key falls into my palm. I smile as I insert it into the door and open up.

The inside was just as beautiful as the outside, though with work it would be even better. The flower printed wallpaper was peeling in places, and the place had acquired a layer of dust through its lack of use. I set my bags down inside and close the door behind me. "Welcome home," I murmur, a faint smile on my face.