17: Not Haunted

"Today we'll be starting a group project."

My head shoots up from my sketchbook, the pencil in my hand scratching a light line across the page. I ignore the mistake and focus my gaze on Mrs. Mercy, who stood at the front of the classroom. Everyone groans in the class, but were quieted by the art teacher. "Oh hush, it's not that bad," Mrs. Mercy chastises.

I stay silent, partly out of curiosity and partly out of dread. I've never heard of a group art project before, but if it is like a normal group project then I want no part. Matthew glances at me, clearly feeling the same.

"How this will work is that you will be partnered in pairs. I will let you chose, but I would prefer it to be the person next to you. The project will be for you to try drawing your family or important people in your lives. The reason we have partners is because you will draw your partner's selected family as well as your own. This will be divided into two parts both for half the grade. This is due by the end of this week, Friday October twenty-eighth. Good luck." Mrs. Mercy finishes with a wave of her hand, signaling for us to begin pairing up.

I immediately turn to Matthew, who was already moving his chair to face me. "Partners?" he asks, holding his hand out with a smirk. I smile slightly and take his hand. "Partners."

"So, who are you doing?" Matthew asks. I pause to think about it for a moment. "My guardian," I reply. Morrigan probably isn't going to be happy about it, but I could care less. "Though she's still on a trip and isn't here right now. I have a photo. What about you?"

"Rosie, Josh, and Alex," he says without missing a beat. He didn't show any hesitation in who he picked. Are they really that important to him? I don't voice my thoughts and instead nod.

"So," Matthew draws out. He gives me a sheepish smile. "Can we do the project at your house? Mine's too loud and busy."

"My house?" I ask, a little shocked. I've never had people over before. Though I'm not too keen on having someone in my home, I can't very well deny him. After a moment's hesitation, I nod, "Okay. After school today sounds okay? I'm sure we can get it done by tomorrow and I don't have work today."

Matthew's face lights into a smile. "Sounds great!" The bell rings at that moment, cutting him off momentarily. "See you in an hour?" Matthew said. I nod. "You'll know which house is mine. It's the only one on Baker Street."

His face pales slightly as his smile falls. "The old mansion? Isn't it haunted?" I raise a skeptical brow at him, slightly amused by his reaction.

"Haunted?" I chuckle. "Trust me, the only thing haunting that house is my cat." Okay, maybe that was a small lie. To be honest, I did have a small suspicion of there being a ghost in the house but so far, there hasn't been any malicious activity. Mostly small things like my keys moving or disappearing for a time and reappearing, sometimes even the spices in the cabinets being rearranged. I'm not about to tell Matthew that, though. He would probably back out of the project time otherwise.

I pick up my bag and wave to him as I leave to classroom before heading to my car. Now that I have it back, I've been using it to drive into town. It was about a half hour to an hour walk, after all. As I drive back I begin to think of what I need to do in the short amount of time I have until Halloween.

Halloween is next Monday, meaning I have all this week to prepare. Today is the twenty-fourth, a Monday. I took the whole weekend to prepare for Halloween, gathering ingredients and the like from the store. Lucky for me, they're simple house supplies that you could find just about anywhere.

Once I pull into my driveway, I turn the engine off and sit inside for a moment to think about all that has happened. This really has been a lot, too much for a simple teenager to handle. I haven't had time to process anything much, it still feels like a nightmare. If it had been anyone else, I'm sure they would have never survived my lifestyle. Running to survive and keeping a low profile without anyone to support you emotionally is tough.