Chapter 3

Eggs

I hated everything.

"What are you staring at, bitch," I growled at the golden retriever whose eyes were set on me, grinning with its pink tongue lolling out of its mouth.

All the shock and calm wore off and now all that's left is a brittle bitterness. It felt like when you put in like fifteen packets of sugar in coffee, at first it tastes sweet, but you can tell it was still freaking bitter. 

Again, everything sucks.

I swung the bag of ingredients back and forth, careful not to break anything. I took just enough money to make the meal, I didn't even have enough money to buy band-aids to put over my cheek, in the place my 'mom's' ring caught when she bitch-slapped me. Ha-ha, good times.

My fingers ached to brush over the wound, but I clenched them close to my side, not wanting to infect the wound. I wanted to say it didn't hurt, I wanted to say it was just a scratch, I wanted to say I was only talking about my cheek.

The dog whimpered lightly lowering its head down, it golden fur shimmering in the streetlight. I sighed as I dropped to the ground next to it, my hand going forward toward its nose. The dog moved its fluffy head away from my hand indignantly as if offended.

"I'm sorry for cussing at you, love. I just had a really bad day, and you didn't help with your judgey eyes," I said my voice soft and apologetic. The dog simply leveled me with a dark look.

"Oh, don't look at me like that. You know exactly what I'm talking about." It turned its head refusing to look at me.

"Fine, be petty, I don't care," I declared, whipping my head to stare in the direction opposite of where the dog was sitting, acting like the extra bitch I am.

Focused on the bright headlights of the car approaching, the warm body next to me shifted, leaving the other half of my body cold.

"Where are you goi-" My eyes widened in horror as I watched almost in slow motion as the dog that was just next to me, ran into the path of the car, plopping fearlessly down in front of it.

Holy shit. My eyes were the size of golf balls while I shot up faster than a bullet, running into the path of a coming car like a lunatic.

"I'M SORRY FOR INSULTING YOU, I REALLY DIDN'T MEAN IT! I'M NOT WORTH LOSING YOUR LIFE OVER! DON'T COMMIT DOGGY SUICIDE!" I screamed erratically, my voice flooding the street, sprinting so fast Usain Bolt would get jealous. I reached up to move my hair out of my face, only to miss and hit my glasses instead, causing them to fly off my face.

"Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit," I whispered clasping onto the golden blob around its soft underbelly, waddling as fast I could away from the oncoming vehicle. I screamed an apology to the driver, who looked like he was about to piss himself, the dog wiggled in my arms like I was a death trap, instead of me being a savior of what I figured out was a not a bitch, but indeed a male dog.

Ew.

I finally made it to the sidewalk, dog, and groceries intact, letting a smug grin from the accomplishment take over my face. The moment I loosened my guard it/he flew out of my arms, the momentum throwing me forward into the poor unsuspecting blob exiting the dance studio just a few feet away from my flying form.

My body collided with his lean form, eliciting an oomph from his lips. My hand instinctively slipped underneath his head, burying itself into his silken hair. My hand struck the concrete, tearing the skin on my knuckles open, my brain briefly recognizing the sharp pain. I slammed on the body beneath mine, not having any free hands to support myself my body kept going. It smells nice... like rain? Eyes widened, our mouths collided, teeth clanged. He let a pained groan into my mouth as I snapped back.